cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues connecting to wifi with early 2011 Macbook

debsandian

Issues connecting to wifi with early 2011 Macbook

Ever since we changed to Plusnet 6 months ago, my laptop has had a lot of issues connecting to the wifi network. All my other devices haven't been having issues and my laptop hasn't had trouble connecting to any other wifi networks. Every time I attempt to connect, I'm either prompted for the password (which it should know from the last time it connected) or told it cannot connect and that I should move closer to the router. If I enter the password, 9 times out of 10 it comes back as invalid, which it isn't as I've checked countless times now. Sometimes, after repeated login attempts it succeeds or will manage to automatically connect randomly. This has happened immediately after it has said invalid password or cannot connect, which is very confusing. The only surefire way to connect I have found is to completely reset the router itself and to connect as it is rebooting, which is not ideal. Has anyone else had these issues?

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Issues connecting to wifi with early 2011 Macbook

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  It would be useful to know which router you are using and the WiFi settings.  What's the model of the MacBook?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

debsandian

Hi, its just the standard ADSL router, Plusnet Hub One (if there's a more exact spec you need, let me know) and my laptop is an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13". Which wifi settings do you need?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,

There are multiple "standard" ADSL routers supplied by PlusNet to say nothing of the 100's of other options out there.

I'm wondering if the security standard is set to WAP2 which might not be supported by that old MacBook?  Then there's the wifi standards options a/b/g/n to consider.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

debsandian

All I can see identifying the router is the name Plusnet Hub One, which is the same as shown here https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/hardware/plusnet-hub-one
The security is set to WAP2 only, but so have many other routers that I've connected to. To reiterate, I can connect with my laptop and once I have the connection is good, establishing the connection is the part that can be really temperamental and inconsistent. And I've had issues connecting when restarting the router

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There might be a ltitle confusion here as this is actually a fibre line and is the Plusnet Hub One. I'm not sure but I'm going to assume that the Mac doesn't have the ability to connect to a 5Ghz channel? I'd still suggest splitting the channels to see if that helps: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.