Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues Reusing a HubOne

FIXED
Haycroft
Hooked

Issues Reusing a HubOne

I have a new HubOne and have passed on my old HubOne to my parents (also on plusnet) after undertaking a factory reset.

Both Hubs have good ADSL connections, but both are experiencing difficulties accessing web sites, email etc.

My broadband was fine before I swapped to the new Hub; and so was my parents before they swapped out their old ADSL router for my old HubOne.

Oddly if I managed to establish a VPN to my work network, traffic over the VPN is fine (while traffic not over the VPN continues to have problems.

Seems rather coincedental that both Hubs are experiencing the same issue.

Is transferring a Hub likely to be the cause of this issue?
13 REPLIES 13
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Issues Reusing a HubOne

@Haycroft  It could be that both Hubs are registered to your account so they are connecting with the same username and password. This is known to screw up the connection for both users.

Even if you do a factory reset the hub will pick up the login details from the Plusnet TR069  back office connection using the serial number as an identifier.

You need to get the one you gave away de-registered from your account and set up on your parents account. I suspect using a VPN would take traffic away from the normal network route so avoiding any conflict.

Haycroft
Hooked

@RealAleMadrid thank you, that makes loads of sense. Is there a simple way for me to get the old hub deregistered?
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

It can only be done by Plusnet and it may not be simple.🙄 You need to call support and explain the problem and hope that they understand what needs to be done to fix it. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Fix

@Haycroft in the mean time , if your parents (or you) know their accountname and password, its possible to manually change the one that the router is using by logging in to the router advanced settings. Until the router is removed from your account, it would revert back but ONLY if factory reset.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Haycroft
Hooked

Cheers @MisterW I had figured as much, and I'm on with writing up some instructions for them (they're in their 80s and nervous of doing such changes). Hopefully that will sort things out for now while I attempt to get plusnet to make the necessary changes at their end.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Haycroft 

Don't forget to tell them to drop the DSL whilst making the changes. It's probably easiest to tell them to take out the DSL plug.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Haycroft
Hooked

@Baldrick1 yep, I don't thing the hub allows you to make that change without disconnecting, so it's near to step 1 of my instructions :-). But cheers for the reminder!
Haycroft
Hooked

@MisterW @Baldrick1 @RealAleMadrid. Thanks all for your help. Please to report manually changing the sign in on the hub has sorted the network issues at both my and my parents.

Just need to persuade plusnet plusnet now to help with a permanent solution by deregistering it from my account (and ideally adding it to my parents).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Haycroft  that's good news

I'm sure one of the PlusNet help team will be along to assist shortly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Deleted - Should have read it all properly!

Haycroft
Hooked

@TeeGee No worries!

I made an incorrect assumption when I reset the HubOne, that the user account would be keyed on the telephone line the router was connected to not the router serial number itself.

But I'm surprised the router or plusnet management tools don't flag up an account sign-in on two separate lines / routers, especially as it results in some really odd behaviour from an end user's perspective - very intermittent web browsing but good streaming performance once a connection has been made. Really difficult to pin down (although the fact that both routers/lines experience the same issues is a big clue... which I missed initially!)
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I had an issue with two accounts some years ago. We were living in my empty inlaws house for most of a year and PN set up an additional account for me until the house was sold. When I cancelled it they told me I had not used any data over the best part of a year. I had used an old router which still had my own home login but as it worked fine I never bothered to check!

A bit off topic  - I have found out that the SSID for both 2.4 and 5Ghz on a Hub One are the same. If you try to connect to a single band wireless device like a printer it will throw a complete wobbler! Plug an Play and WPS are not always that simple.

I am still supporting my "childrens" IT when it should be the other way round!

Haycroft
Hooked

So just to close this off. PlusNet finally deregistered the old router from my account... It's proved too hard to register it to my parents' account.

SO

It seems that deregistering wipes the login details on the hub and reverts them back to the default setup credentials.

So I've had to re-enter their credentials again.

Hopefully the saga is now finally over!