cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a router problem?

EmmPet
Dabbler

Is this a router problem?

I have been with Plusnet for a couple of years. No problem with my pc connection.

Recently, I purchased a 'smart' TV. I could get on line with that - until the last couple of weeks. Now, I keep getting a notice on my TV saying that I am not connected to the internet.

Two weeks ago, I purchased an android tablet. I could not get on line with that. I went to the techie at my local library, and she got on the internet no problem.

Back home, I still had same problem. I went to a neighbour. The tablet worked fine on her router. She came back over with me - and the tablet worked.

At the time, we were right next to the router.

When I tried the tablet in another room - it would not work.

Could anyone tell me what I can do to sort out this problem.

It is defeating the object of buying a tablet if I can only get on line when I am actually sitting at my pc.

The only name on the router, is - plusnet. And - technicolor.

It would be nice if the TV would be sorted too. I only use the internet on it for catch up programmes.

Advice would be most gratefully accepted.

Sad

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Is this a router problem?

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

It sounds like it's the wireless signal which is the issue here. It's possible you're getting wifi interference, have you tried changing the wireless channel in your router settings?

The below guide will help you do that with your Technicolor router.

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254
2. Sign in with the username is admin, all lower case, and the password is the serial number on the bottom of your router (CP**********), which needs to be entered in capital letters
3. Click on Home Network and then click on your wireless network
4. Under Wireless, click on WLAN: PlusnetWireless
5. At the top right of the page click on Configure
6. Change the Channel Selection to Manual
7. Select an alternative wireless channel
8. Click on Apply at the bottom of the page

Let us know how you get on,

Anoush.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
EmmPet
Dabbler

Hello Gandalf.

I have just followed your instructions. At no. 7 I could not find 'wireless channel'. - only 'channel'.

It was set on 11, so I have changed it to 10.

Thank you so much.

Unless there is more than one Gandalf, then you have helped me in the past with pc problems elsewhere.

Smiley

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The recommended channel are 1,6 or 11 as these are non-overlapping. If you set to other channels as you have done then you can overlap with other nearby users and possibly get worse performance. But Wi-Fi is always a bit hit and miss anyway.Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@EmmPet wrote:

I have just followed your instructions. At no. 7 I could not find 'wireless channel'. - only 'channel'.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll update my guide. Smiley

It was set on 11, so I have changed it to 10.

Thank you so much.

No problems, I should have mentioned this actually:

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

The recommended channel are 1,6 or 11 as these are non-overlapping. If you set to other channels as you have done then you can overlap with other nearby users and possibly get worse performance. But Wi-Fi is always a bit hit and miss anyway.Smiley

Unless there is more than one Gandalf, then you have helped me in the past with pc problems elsewhere.

Maybe. There can only be one Gandalf. Wink

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet