cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the plusnet one router adequate to set up a small office network?

PhatCards

Is the plusnet one router adequate to set up a small office network?

Want to run 2 or three computers, one printer, one label printer on a network that allows communication between units and each other.  is the plusnet one router capable of doing it and anyone know how to set up a network?  wirelessly?  thanks all

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Is the plusnet one router adequate to set up a small office network?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@PhatCards  The Plusnet Hub 1 is a rebadged  BT HH5 which is years old and superseded by the much improved HH6. The hub 1 is not too good, in my opinion I would not touch it with a bargepole. As for wireless performance it is atrocious, there is an ongoing problem with wi-fi dropouts and problems with the 5Ghz network that have not been fixed in over a year or more. I think you need to consider a more capable device for an office environment, however small. 🙄

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@PhatCards 

If you are setting up an office network then my advice is to use Ethernet cables between hardware to get the fastest most reliable set up. If you do this a Hub One will do the job.

Setting up a network depends on the hardware and operating systems that you are using and I suggest that you find a local person skilled in the art to come in and set it up for you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@PhatCards 

While I broadly agree with Baldrik1, the requirement you have (if you mostly use cabled connections and everything is in one room) could be OK with the Hub 1.

Computers will generally find the Internet if connected to a router and once the computers are running, most printers will come with instructions and software to work with computers on a cabled connection.

You might find that one or more of your printers only does USB connection. If so, then to start with connect the printer to a "main" computer that will always be on when printing will be needed and "share" the printer to the other machines (which will generally work OK).

Realistically I would give it a go and see how you get on.

If you have done that and it is sort of working, come back with further questions and it might well be possible to sort any remaining problems.

I am the satisfied customer....