Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth upgrading Router

PeteNW
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Is it worth upgrading Router

Hi All. I have a Plusnet installation at a rental property, ADSL getting about 8-9 Mbps on a country telephone line which isn't too bad! I'm using the Thompson 585 router which seems pretty reliable.  I have the option of upgrading to the Plusnet Hub One (a friend left Plusnet and gave me his router).

Being a holiday let rental installation, reliability is very important.  

Would your advice be to install the new Hub one, or leave as is?

Thanks for any assistance

9 REPLIES 9
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Is it worth upgrading Router

I have the Plusnet Hub one in my house and it is reliable it's up to you really. Been the newer model it's has better hardware inside it but it's nothing really special it's up to you really.

James

EDIT: only main advantage is the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ bands for wifi with the 5GHZ been more reliable again been in the countryside  interference is likely to slim.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @PeteNW

In my own opinion, if your current Thomson router is working reliably with no issues I'd personally continue to use it.

Having said that, the Hub One does have improved wireless spec.

If you do decide to use the new router you'll need to go through the router settings and manually connect with your broadband username and password.

The broadband username (Login Name) you can find here: https://www.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

I like the hub one, but...! The benefits of a hub one like better wifi doesn't help much if it's on 8mb dsl, range may be better but do you have range issues?

If it ain't broke.....!
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@MrSilver wrote:
If it ain't broke.....!

...don't fix it. Smiley

If the OP is undecided, if it was me I'd probably setup the Hub One and see how it goes. The option is always there to go back if they keep ahold of the Thomson router.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
PeteNW
Hooked

Many thanks for your input.  The router is in quite a large property so there are areas of poor wifi signal. I did have an extender till one of our holiday makers nicked it!  So may give the Hub One a go to see if it improves range.

Thanks again

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If you're going to try the Hub one it would be a good idea to make sure that it has been disassociated with your friends account. If not then, when factory reset, it will automatically configure with your friends login details. I'm sure @Anoush or one of the other PN help team members will be able to check. They will probably ask you to PM them the serial number of the Hub one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

@PeteNW You will never know until you try, but if you ever come across a BT hub 3 the WIFI range is pretty good. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Yeah, if you private message me with the serial number from the label on the bottom of the router @PeteNW I'll ensure it's not linked to an account.

The serial number should begin with +081441+

PeteNW
Hooked

Many thanks Anoush. Will take you up on that.