cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it my wifi router that has broken?

rachelm
Dabbler

Is it my wifi router that has broken?

My wifi is down. I have tried unplugging and switching back on the router but the only light that is coming on is the power light. I seem to remember that whenever I've had wifi problems in the past the other lights have at least flickered for a bit but this time there's nothing. Does this mean the problem is with the router?
10 REPLIES 10
rachelm
Dabbler

Re: Is it my wifi router that has broken?

I've found a really old wired router and connected that. (I've never used it with my current computer and don't know if I've got the right software to use it) - When I switch that on, the power, DSL and Ethernet lights come on but not the internet.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

With the old router it would need to be manually configured with your plus net account username and password.  What model of router is it?

its not necessarily a router fault .  It might be a line fault.  

But first of all you'd be best off doing a factory reset of your old router . Ther will be a reset button on the router and you'll need a pin to press it in while the router is turned on. 

if that doesn't work then report a fault to Plus Net support  

https://www.plus.net/help/

Hope this helps 

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

It looks like your router is trying to connect using an incorrect password.

Which one do you have connected at the moment?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note:

Topic moved from Broadband to My Router

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
rachelm
Dabbler

I've got the old wired router connected at the moment. On my computer it is saying that I have limited network connection - presumably because it has got the wrong password on it? The old wired router is a BT Voyager 210 ADSL router - I must have got it from Plusnet because I've never had broadband direct from BT. I can't see a way to re-set it or how to enter a new password.

Does it sound like the newer WiFi router is the problem then?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

There is a user manual for the Voyager here

Relevent info:

6 Start your Internet browser and type in the address 192.168.1.1   7 The Configuration Manager screen should open.

8 On the Configuration Manager screen, enter your Broadband User Name and Password. Your Username will take the following form:

PlusNet: (www.plus.net) :username@plusdsl.net Force9 (www.force9.net) :username@f9.co.uk Free-Online (www.free-online.net) : username@freeonline.net

9 Click Connect. 10

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @rachelm

Thanks for getting back to us. Please follow the steps outlined by Mustrum, and get back to us if you have no success.

We would be happy to send a new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
rachelm
Dabbler

Thanks. I'm now online with the wired router so it must be the WiFi router that is faulty.
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hit @rachelm

I have processed this for you, and a new router has been sent out. You should receive this within 3-5 working days.