cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is CanYouSeeMe? safe?

kwelham
Hooked

Is CanYouSeeMe? safe?

I have come across a free-to-use programme which will check whether you have successfully managed to forward a port on your router. It can be found at www.CanYouSeeMe.org. You put in the number of the port you are hoping you have successfully opened and it will tell you if this is indeed the case.

I am concerned that this might be an unsafe thing to do, potentially making your router available for hacking from the CanYouSeeMe website. Does anyone have any information on this?

4 REPLIES 4
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Is CanYouSeeMe? safe?

@kwelham

No idea but it is best to be weary of any internet based security.

One long term website that many people trust is Steve Gibson Research Corporation aka GRC which will run a port scan on your router. It is called "ShieldsUP!"  and is at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I've used this for many years and had no issues.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
kwelham
Hooked

Thanks for the info. I visited the site and ran a couple of tests which seem to indicate that my computer is safe, but all the descriptive text refers to windows computers. As a Mac user I am used to this type of description but I am too inexperienced to know whether the tests actually work on a Mac computer and therefore may default to a "passed" result. Other than this concern, I am impressed by the ease of use of the site and its laudable aims.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

It is just looking at the router so your computer is irrelevant. All the work is done on the GRC servers so the web page is only for you to see the results. Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@SpendLessTime

That's a very nice link, according to my readings from GRC my computer doesn't even exist.  Thumbs_Up

Here's what it said...

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating.
Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was
received from your system as a result of our security
probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to
repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint
of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not
exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security
systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe
the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system
wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.