Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone connectivity

FIXED
Breadman
Dabbler

Re: Iphone connectivity

Hi Gandalf

Sorry to trouble you again but I've been carrying out a little research on my options of better internet coverage in the house.

There are strong opinions suggesting I could do this by having a router/modem combo. I've had a look at ones in my budget range. The one that comes out on top appeals to me it is the ASUS DSL-AC68U Wireless Modem Router AC1900.

Before forging ahead with this, is this something that Plusnet allow and if so also what do you think?

Kind Regards

Dale

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Fix

@Breadman 

Plusnet are quite happy for you to use your own modem/router.

There are those on this forum who will advise you that the AC68U has a poor modem and not to go down that path.

If you're on a strict budget then get a BT Smarthub 6 from an auction site. They seem to be going for absolute peanuts at the moment and are better than Plusnet's offerings, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Breadman
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to try the BT home hub 6. If no improvement I will have to look further.

If this does not work is there something more powerful but not mega bucks that I could go for?

Regards

Dale

Baldrick1

@Breadman 

Personally I would not spend a lot on a hub. You could invest the money in mesh units, backed if necessary by an Ethernet back haul. This is not a cheap solution. A cheaper solution would be to install Ethernet cables and add a Wireless Access Point if wireless was required but use Ethernet wherever possible.

I’m afraid that I can’t advise on whether you could get wireless that meets your requirements even if you spend mega bucks on a different modem/router. What works in one building might not work in yours.

Moderator and Customer

Breadman
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Again thank you for your reply.

It's not wireless I'm after. I do want to run via ethernet. At the moment I have the Plusnet router next to the telephone line coming into the house. From there I have a ethernet cable to a Powerline unit about 2 feet away. Upstairs in my study I have another Powerline unit with an ethernet cable to my PC about 3 feet away. I've checked the settings of the Powerline and the PC they are all okay. However I keep experiencing 'no internet' and have to wait for it to come back on. When I check the router down stairs all is okay. That's when Gandalf suggested trying a long ethernet cable straight from my PC upstairs. It worked the internet connection was stable. All I can think is the router is not powerful enough (or am I wrong?).

Cheers

Dale

Baldrick1

@Breadman 

This is getting very confusing.

The topic started off as being about you connecting wirelessly to your Iphone. Can we assume that the separating of bands has put this problem to bed and now the issue is getting an Ethernet connection between your hub and PV over powerline devices?

If so then this is nothing to do with wireless or router 'power' but everything to do with how your house wiring runs. This post (one I did earlier!) will give you chapter and verse  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

Can you confirm whether this is now your problem before we take it further?

Moderator and Customer

Breadman
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Sorry but this is what I have been discussing with Gandalf. Yes the splitting of the two bands solved the iphone issue. The issue now, which I have been talking to Gandalf about, is connectivity via my Powerlines and ethernet cable from the router. Both these issues I did not have before switching over to Plusnet. The system was running fine I just wanted to go with a company that had better customer service than TalkTalk. Their after sales is great and the contactability is great it just seems to be the router as that is the only difference???

Dale

Baldrick1

@Breadman 

So now it’s all about the Ethernet ports, have you tried using a different one on your hub? Alternatively it will be interesting to see if a Smarthub performs any better.

Are your Powerline units connected in the same way as previously? No added extension leads etc?

Moderator and Customer

Breadman
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Sorry for the delay in replying. Called out on an emergency. All okay now.

Back to the ethernet issue. No I haven't done anything differently with the Powerline connectors of the configuration/set up of the network. As I said it's just after connecting up the Plusnet router we had the 2 issues one of which has been sorted (splitting the 2.4 & 5 ghz. The problem remaining is the periodic lack of internet on my PC upstairs. 

I will try swapping the ethernet ports and monitor that for the next 24 hours.

I will speak again soon.

Breadman
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

The BT Smart Hub 6 has arrived. I have followed your clearly defined instruction pages on the issue and we are all up and running. The switching of the ethernet ports didn't solve anything. Connection was still unstable. I'll see how the new hub preforms and give you feedback.

Thank you

Dale

Breadman
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Morning

After introducing the BT HH6 into the house I have to report all is very well. No drop outs at all for 20 days now. Fingers crossed. I have better signal/coverage and increased mbps.

Thank you for your input on this. Without your suggestion on the BT HH6 I would still be struggling on. 

There was only one minor issue in that I had to change all the passwords...but hey ho.

Once again thank you for your valid input on this it was much appreciated.

Dale