Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interpreting the Event Log

FIXED
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Interpreting the Event Log

With the Hubs I've found it easier to let the server be set by DHCP on the router and select the 'always use this IP address' rather than fixing the IP on the server.
A tad cumbersome but it does work reliably for port forwarding.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Turtlestacker  my server is on static IP of 192.168.1.201

Are you absolutely sure of that, the router doesn't seem to think it is! Looks to me like the router has got 2 IP's in its table for the server, an 'old' one of .201 and a 'new' one of .140.

I'd be inclined to clear the port forwards and reset the router. Then start again...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Turtlestacker
Dabbler

I have tried using the IP address 192.168.1.140 (as assigned to server on Devices view) and also direct to 192.168.1.201  - still same response.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

try @dvorak 's suggestion

earlier, you did get the request going through to the server, so the lack of the request now does tend to point at the router getting confused as to where its forwarding

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @Turtlestacker I agree with @dvorak, however I've previously had issues with DHCP on my Hub One where IP addresses became locked, I would suggest if you're happy to is to factory reset the Hub One and start again.

If you do want to set a static IP Address on the device please use one outside the DCHP range which is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63

Dan

Turtlestacker
Dabbler

When I delete my server device - it assigns it another static IP (it is now .141)

Turtlestacker
Dabbler

@MisterW  just reading another one of your posts - my server static IP is inside the range for DHCP on router.... will attempt to set outside...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Turtlestacker  yes, technically it is, but at .201 its unlikely to have been allocated to anything else.

TBH I'd go with @dvorak s suggestion of setting the server to DHCP and letting the router allocate a fixed IP. I've seen a few routers which don't play well at port forwarding to devices for which they hasv't allocated an IP via DHCP

Turtlestacker
Dabbler

So I set the static IP on server to 11 and it now appears on Router as 11 - which is good.  But still no joy connecting.  In fact whereas before I was (unless I am going mad - and I  do feel like I am going mad! - was able to ping my plusnet Static IP - now that fails?)

I will try setting the server to DHCP - thats just  a setting on the NIC yes?  Still very bumbling out of my depth here - sorry.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

was able to ping my plusnet Static IP - now that fails?)

I suspect that was when you had the server in the DMZ. That would have allowed all incoming connections including ICMP(ping) to be forwarded to the server

I have setup a static IP on my router and can ping that address successfully.  I have placed the Server in my DMZ.

Now there is no forwarding option for ICMP and, since the router doesn't respond itself, then the ping will be blocked.

I will try setting the server to DHCP - thats just  a setting on the NIC yes? Yes , just set the NIC to 'obtain an IP address automatically'

Turtlestacker
Dabbler

Argh!  Would this be easier with another router - because the amount of time I have spent here!! would have been way cheaper to buy some hardware! 

The server was assigned static .143 a moment ago but I have just gone back in and it is now .201?   WTAF!?  I must be doing something REALLY stupid.

It is still connecting in event log   but VPN still fails.

f2.PNG

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Have you reset the router ?

Turtlestacker
Dabbler

Mutiple times - do you mean a factory reset as opposed to restart?  I havent tried a factory reset.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, I suspect a normal soft reset doesn't clear dhcp allocations so I'd try a factory reset

Turtlestacker
Dabbler

That does seem to have fixed the allocation confusion - the server is now solid allocated to .64

So I rebuilt the port foward - and still the same result!

newfail.PNG

Am able to connect directly across the LAN to VPN but again nothing doing when I come in from outside.