cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed randomly drops to <1MBPS on one laptop in our network. Only a router reset fixes it.

gesterx

Internet speed randomly drops to <1MBPS on one laptop in our network. Only a router reset fixes it.

On our home network we have a couple of Xboxes, TVs and Laptops. My wife's laptop (running Windows 10) internet speed will frequently drop to less than 1 Mbps (most devices stick around 40-60). Even restarting her laptop does not reset speed - the only thing that does it is resting the plusnet hub.

Curiously, for a few weeks we were tethering my mobile data and she did not experience the issue at all (which happens once or twice per day).

I'm going crazy here because this means the issue is probably with the router but why would it always slow this laptop's speed? We've even added new devices to the network and they don't have the issue.

The router is just a hub that came through Plusnet and I don't see any special settings for her laptop. It has a 2 and 5ghz band (although combined) and the laptop is connected to the 5ghz one.

I'm hoping someone else has had this issue or could give me some things to try. If possible could I get a firmware update?
3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Internet speed randomly drops to <1MBPS on one laptop in our network. Only a router reset fix

Welcome to the forums, @gesterx . From the information you have given, it sounds more like an issue with the wireless card in your wife laptop than an issue with the router, especially as you say no other devices suffer the same problem.

How old is the laptop? - unless it is very new (I would think <12 months), the chances are it will not be 5Ghz compatible to be honest.

Try splitting and renaming the bands on the router - instructions as to how are on the My Router board on the forum, and then connect the laptop to the 2.4Ghz band.

Can you connect the laptop to the router using an ethernet cable, and see if it still displays the same symptoms?

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Internet speed randomly drops to <1MBPS on one laptop in our network. Only a router reset fix...

Welcome to our community forums @gesterx 

I'm sorry to see your wife's having speed issues on her laptop. I'd second the above advice, try separating the wireless frequencies into separate network names and connect it onto the 2.4GHz. I wouldn't say the laptop isn't compatible with 5GHz as it can see it, if it weren't compatible from experience it just wouldn't see the frequency. 

Either way though it sounds like there's an issue with the 5GHz so it may be worth posting in this topic Here as we've got an acknowledged issue with that affecting some people (we've fixed it in a new firmware but not yet rolled it out to everybody). One of our products guru's tends to drop by that thread every so often doing ad-hoc firmware updates.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gesterx

Re: Internet speed randomly drops to <1MBPS on one laptop in our network. Only a router reset fix

Thanks both. I'll try seperating out the bands and report back.