Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet is on but some devices won't connect all the time

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Internet is on but some devices won't connect all the time

On Saturday morning my router shut down and unexpectedly did not restart. It's a plusnet Technicolor TG582n. After a short time I unplugged it and started it that way. After it came back up I found that a number of devices ( not all) had to be manually re associated. The only devices with a problem in the end were a Chromecast and  a Gramofon ( media streaming box that acts as a spotify Connect device).

When the router came back up it changed channel (from 6 to 1) though the setting is Automatic. I factory reset both devices in the end but the Gramofon still kept dropping after 10 seconds of streaming. As part of the troubleshooting I restarted the router a few times. Each time some things work and somethings don't but its never the same things each time. The Gramofon is the most consistitently not working but each time I try something,most items work but one or 2 of my devices ( phones, laptop, desktops) either won't connect or show they are connected but don't have internet. Its unpredictable.

I'm thinking that because I can access the internet on something each time, that  my broadband connection is OK, but that the problem is with my router. All my connections are wireless.

Any advice

After 3 days of this I'm getting frustrated. 

15 REPLIES 15
gemma074
Dabbler

Re: Internet is on but some devices won't connect all the time

I have the same router and posted a problem with mine in this forum around the same time you posted. My connection keeps dropping, having done all the trouble shooting, switched micro filters etc nothing seems to be making a difference. Mine has been tempremental for about 2 weeks but the last two days have been particularly bad. Last night being the worst. Now i have connection but only in one end of the property, where as before i had connection everywhere. My iphone 6 wont detect the network more often than not and when it does, keeps telling me my password for the wifi network is incorrect when its not.

I dont know whats going on but i'm getting sick of it as my father who is disabled highly relys on his computer and so far, i'm not getting any helpful answers from plusnet.

I hope you get your issues sorted.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@the_groundsman

What is the firmware version on the TG582n?

Does the router indicate if the problematic devices are connected?

I have seen these routers make a wifi connection, but not successfully deliver an IP address to the connecting device.

If you have a Windows or android device, go download inSSIDer (V3 was the last free version) and examine the wifi spectrum in your location.  If the router has flipped channels, it could indicate that there are new wifi stations nearby.  You might find things more stable by selecting the channel manually - choose from channels 1, 6 or 11.  When set to automatic, the router can change channels dynamically: some client devices are not able (or very good) at following such channel changes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply.

I've taken a look and right now everything I'm expecting is connected with IP addresses and a green tick. I have had to manage the channel hopping by some restarts. I've also had a look at the channels in use around me around me. If it hops again I'll take it off Automatic as you suggest 6 and 1 are both clear.

I presume the firmware is the software release field so here goes 8.4.4.J

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There is a later version of software for that model. IIRC it improves WiFi stability and also delivers time slot access control by device.

Ask nicely here and a CRT guy can deliver a remote update... Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks very much - That would be nice Smiley

Do I need to have any particular settings for that. I don't have a tick in the box for remote assistance at the moment - is that or anything else required please?

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

@gemma074 remaining posts merged with Connection keeps dropping

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@the_groundsman wrote:

Do I need to have any particular settings for that. ... or anything else required please?

Nothing in the router, but I think you need TR69 configuration enabled here - https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php

Also see - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/tr69faq.shtml

the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks - really helpful.

I'm still struggling a bit and seem to get an IP addresses that are common/shared between devices, another "unknown" device that are just showing  a MAC code and that switch between having the WAN icon and then the Ethernet Icon. Really odd behaviour and the internet seems a little slow too ( might be my imagination now though)

I'll do a factory reset, change the password at the weekend I think, and then may be the firmware update might be delivered,a dn I'll take it from there. My hunch is that the router itself might be faulty but I'll be patient for a bit longer.

It's been years since I had any problems with the internet/ homenetwork so this is an unwelcome trip back in time.

Really appreciate your help though Smiley

the_groundsman
Rising Star

I had an online chat with customer support and the person told me to do a factory reset and the router would automatically update to the latest available firmware.

I did and followed the instructions which didn't go 100% smoothly as my password wasn't recognised. So i did have to add some details back in manually. When I did get the network back up and looked at the router...... still on Software Release: 8.4.4.J 

Sad

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I am not convinced that the factory reset and the following TR96 process automatically updates firmwear.  It will certainly download the current default router settings ... Unless one of @Chris or @bobpullen tells me it's so, I'm inclined not to believe the advice you were given.

Which password are you referring to?  After a reset the rotuer password (if you changed it) reverts to the serial number.  After that you do should not need a password - the TR96 process should sets up the account password for the Internet connection.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@the_groundsman wrote:

I had an online chat with customer support and the person told me to do a factory reset and the router would automatically update to the latest available firmware.

I'm not too sure why they've advised that, but drop me a PM with your username and I'll try and push the latest firmware down to your router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
the_groundsman
Rising Star

@Townman  I was only following the instructions (honest). I held the pin the back for 10 seconds, then plugged a laptop in to a wired port on the router and waited 15 mins as instructed. I then opened chrome. I then got this screen (attached) I input the credentials and got a green tick and invitation to download the support app ( about 10 Mb) but each website I visited brought me back to this attached screen.

I was caught in a trap with no way out.

Anyway I set up the credentials in the router directly and it all seems fine now.

@HarryB will end you a PM

Thanks both.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@the_groundsman,

Sorry about that - I am sure you were following the flawed advice to the letter.  As I have amended my post, there should be no need for the password to be entered.  However TR96 has been known to get its knicker elastic twisted before, in not actually applying the account credentials - in which case one arrives at your point of impass and no return.

Hopefull Now it's in Harry's careful hands, all will be sorted soon.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The upgrade should have gone through now. I've been watching it for a few minutes and it looks like the router has just re-connected on the new firmware Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet