Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dropping on wifi although wifi still available

dayvie
Dabbler

Internet dropping on wifi although wifi still available

Hey

I'm having an issues where the internet is dropping on our Wifi, but the Wifi connection is stable. This seems to affect things that have been connected to the internet for some time, such as a firestick or phone. A quick fix is to turn the wifi on and off on the device that is having the issue, but in some instances this isnt possible (eg firestick which needs a restart)

I thought it might have been something to do with the Smart Channels - the router switching channel due to interference and the device not getting the memo, but im not sure if that is a real thing. I turned on static channels for both 5ghz and 2.4ghz to see if that made a difference but the issue is still occuring.

The internet speed when working is fine and some of the devices that are losing connection are literally next to the router so distance shouldnt be an issue. Also there are no indications on the Hub One router that there are any internet issues.

Can you offer any advice? Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
SpecialD
Rising Star

Re: Internet dropping on wifi although wifi still available

Hi,

Have a look through these two posts and see if the behavior looks similar to this..  I think you'll find there quite a lot of posts around a similar theme that's irritating a lot of people...

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Wifi-drops-out-on-Win10/m-p/1637656#M12091

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Could-this-be-a-bug-with-firmware-4-7-5-1-83-8-263-or-Window...

Do these sound like what's happening?

dayvie
Dabbler

Thanks Special, those links (especially the first one) do sound familiar! I don't own a Windows computer so cant say that i've had that exact issue, but the same thing has happened on my Macbook -  a quick off/on of the wifi on the machine seems to resolve it though, but still a pain.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

HI @dayvie,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. In your post you've said that you have attempted to set the Wi-Fi channels to static but this hasn't resolved the problem - just off the back of this, have you tried splitting the wireless frequencies? If you haven't I would recommend doing so and a guide on how to do this can be found here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
joshuaps1

I'm also having this exact same issue (and so do several other people looking at the threads), and have done since signing up to plusnet a couple of weeks ago.

Phones seem to be the worst, disconnecting frequently and then being unable to reconnect, and the problem is strictly limited to the WIFI signal, everything connected directly via Ethernet works perfectly fine. 

Is this a problem with the latest plusnet routers or is this a firmware issue?Huh

dayvie
Dabbler

@TheMightyAJ wrote:

HI @dayvie,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. In your post you've said that you have attempted to set the Wi-Fi channels to static but this hasn't resolved the problem - just off the back of this, have you tried splitting the wireless frequencies? If you haven't I would recommend doing so and a guide on how to do this can be found here.

Funnily enough the signals were already split before we started experiencing this issue - we found that certain devices were favouring 2.4 even when close to the router so i've had them split from since we joined Plusnet. 

I've actually just joined them again to see if that makes any difference, but doesnt seem to matter. 

SpecialD
Rising Star

@joshuaps1 

As you've seen there seem to be a lot of issues for a lot of people all around the wifi. But obvious,y depending on customers technical understanding or the immediate symptoms it'll be reported differently (router problem / "internet" problem, wifi issue etc.) I bet there are also a lot more cases of it than being reported here as some people will be phoning up, some not bothering reporting at all.
 It might be a case of it being poor hardware with a poorer firmware but they daren't say because of the back-lash (a lot of people had no issue with this 'hub 1' since the latest couple of firmware updates. I didn't have an issue at the beginning of the year either.) Some people have bought a second hand BT home hub instead and had a much improved performance.

For the last 15 minutes I've had wifi showing connected but in the background it's dropping connections and immediately reconnecting over and over which just gives the impression it's a slow connection. However If you have a VPN connection or an audio connection (like a skype call or other real time sensitive media) then you'll hear it drop out. One of the wired devices also said it had no internet connection (Youview box) but the router continually showed connected (blue light). 

dayvie
Dabbler

HI @dayvie,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. In your post you've said that you have attempted to set the Wi-Fi channels to static but this hasn't resolved the problem - just off the back of this, have you tried splitting the wireless frequencies? If you haven't I would recommend doing so and a guide on how to do this can be found here.

This is still an ongoing issue - it seems to have flared up recently. Could you let me know what can be done about this?