cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal slow downs and terrible WiFi, Can I use Openreach Modem?

ID
Grafter

Internal slow downs and terrible WiFi, Can I use Openreach Modem?

Hi folks, long time no post.

I am having problems running from the Hub One via 10 metres of Cat6 to a TP-Link Archer C6 setup as a gigabit switch and wifi access point. I have my bluray movie collection backed up on a fast PC connected to the Hub one. 

Setup as follows 

BT skt---> Hub one --->Main PC ----> Hub one ---->Archer C6 Via Cat6 cable ----> TV running Plex

The problem is sometimes the movies play at original quality other times the network cant handle the stream and stutters making me transcode the file to about 8mbits/s or less to make it playable. The network just doesn't seem stable and I'm wondering if its just having a terrible router. My question is: I have an Openreach VDSL modem from my first plusnet fttc install. Would i be better off using that and getting another Archer C6 or something along those lines as I can't afford to splash out for an all singing & dancing vdsl router. I really wish ISP's sent out better routers.

Thanks in advance for any help

Tags (4)
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Internal slow downs and terrible WiFi, Can I use Openreach Modem?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
CJT-80
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@ID 

Good Morning,

Just want to check what you have said, this is your setup as you have described it:

BT skt---> Hub one --->Main PC ----> Hub one ---->Archer C6 Via Cat6 cable ----> TV running Plex

I am interested in: Hub one --->Main PC ----> Hub one ----> Do you mean: 

Hub one --->Main PC

Hub one --->Archer C6 Via Cat6 cable ---> TV running Plex

As in there are 2 cat6 cables leaving the Hub One, 1 to the PC, 1 to the Archer C6?

Kind Regards,

CJT
ID
Grafter

There is just the one.
Didn't sound as confusing yesterday lol. Windows 7 used to have a really handy network map feature you could screen grab.
I've got a half decent lan tester at work. Think I will bring it home next week.
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Assuming there isn't some kind of physical/cable route constraint, I think you can use the Openreach modem and make the Archer the core of your network (eliminate the Hub One).

The Archer seems able to have an Internet connection over Ethernet and be able to set up a PPPoE connection (a quick Google leads to some useful looking links).

I would try that.

I am the satisfied customer....
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@ID 

Can we step back and get a clear understanding of how you have connected things up. Are the following assumptions correct:

1. You are only using one Hub One?

2. The hub One is directly connected to your Main PC, either via wireless or an Ethernet cable?

3. The Hub One is also connected via a 6m Ethernet cable to an Archer C6 configured as a wireless Access Point?

4. You are having problems with the WiFi connection between your AP and TV?

If these assumptions are correct then it's unlikely to be a Hub One problem as the modem and Ethernet parts do not appear to give many problems. You need to step back, connect your PC to the router via an Ethernet cable (if that's not your current configuration) and conduct speed tests from here. If that's fine then the problem is at the AP end of your network. If it's slow here you need to start checking the broadband signal to the Hub One.

There's many problems with the Hub One but that doesn't mean that they are the cause of all issues.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ID
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
I am only using 1 hub one
My main PC is connected via Ethernet in the office to the hub one. Out of the hub one is a a cat6 to the Archer C6 AP. The TV is then connect via Ethernet to the Archer C6. There is a 2nd PC also connected to the C6 and when I transfer files between the 2 they send at the full speed circa 110MBs(gigabit)
The more I'm thinking about this the more I think its a plex issue. I'm just not sure if the hub one is a very capable router handling other stuff whilst I'm streaming and making it stutter. On the other hand the C6 wasn't an expensive (in comparison to others) router either lol