cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Amazon Fire Stick with wired connection not giving Plusnet network as option

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Installing Amazon Fire Stick with wired connection not giving Plusnet network as option

@ronindundee 

I suggest that you sit down, have a cup of tea then start again. This Ugreen 2.0 Ethernet Network Adapter with OTG (micro USB to RG45 LAN) device you have got is NOT what you want to connect a Firestick to Ethernet. Put it to one side.

Simply leave everything else as it is. Connect the power supply that came with the Firestick to the Firestick USB connector and plug the Firestick into your TV.

If you now go to your TV and select the Firestick WiFi settings you should see your Plusnet router's SSID unless you have actually gone into the router settings and switched of the Wifi. If you have then log back in to the router and switch it back on again. Select the Plusnet SSID and input your wireless password.

If the router is a distance away and you are getting a weak wifi signal then tell us and we can advise further.

I fear that you are thinking that this is far more complicated then it is.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

Re: Installing Amazon Fire Stick with wired connection not giving Plusnet network as option

@ronindundee 

I have read a bit further into your earlier posts. Are you confusing your TV Smart feature with the Firestick? When setting it up you are ignoring the TV Smart features and going into the TV Input Select option and selecting Amazon Fire? The two are totally independent.

You need to select the Firestick then follow my previous post.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Baldrick1  whilst I agree that the Fire stick would normally be connected using Wifi and it's easy to do that.

I was surprised to even find that it's possible to use a wired adapter with it, if you look at the video I linked to , the UGreenAdapter is the actual one being used in the video and does seem to be capable of providing a wired connection to the Fire stick

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@MisterW 

I stand corrected!

Moderator and Customer

ronindundee
Dabbler

Firstly, let me apologise to all of you who provided advice. I was in town when a lot of the later advice came through. And I didn't check the site when I got back. And then I had to get on phone to Amazon, as was unable to complete setting up fire stick because have to register stick when setting up on TV (I bought it through Argos) and my Amazon password was not recognised. I had already decided just to to go the wi-fi route. By the way, I had watched the video you mentioned. That guy uses a basic adaptor/dongle + a separate OTG cable with power pass, which I am sure works fine. Mine was/is more like the one the guy in the U.S. uses (see the 'Ugreen' video if interested) except mine turned out to have a very short cable. 

In the end, the Amazon young woman (who was very helpful indeed. as was her colleague who also tried to sort out the password/security issue) talked me through the fire stick installation process. I think I was on the phone for an hour.

The problem I have now is that the WPS had not been set when I set up the TV (as set up with wired connection, which I removed before calling Amazon.) I tried to engage it last night and today again, but the WPS light does not stay engaged (i.e., I followed the steps as if setting up TV for first time: I checked by searching 'WPS' on Google. The procedure is clearly laid out.) Surely the WPS light should stay lit? Yet my TV tells me that the procedure has been successful, i.e., it is now protected by WPS. Isn't WPS desireable, and could it still be engaged with a wired connection?

Baldrick1

You don't use WPS with a wired connection. Why haven't you left the the TV with a wired connection? There's absolutely no reason why the TV can't be connected by an Ethernet cable and the Firestick using wireless. Just put the Ethernet cable to your TV back and all should be well.

Moderator and Customer

ronindundee
Dabbler

You are of course correct. Don't know what I was thinking. WPS would not be appropriate for a wired (i.e. Ethernet) connection. In order to make a wired connection with a Fire stick it is necessary to use some form of adapter. On youtube videos, 'Econoballer' in the States used one similar to the one I have (except that the power cable is a decent length) while, in the one you mentioned (and I had watched both before buying the adapter) he uses an adapter (which does not have a power cable input) plus an OTG with a powerpass. You cannot simply connect up the Fire stick independently, and connect the Ethernet cable to  the router and the TV Ethernet port. If you can, why are these guys on youtube using adapters? Do they not have an Ethernet port on their TV?

To answer your latest question: I am reluctant to attempt a wired connection at the moment, as (a) the Fire stick is working fine, and it took an age on the phone to Amazon to get the security issue cleared up, so I want to enjoy what I have for the present, and (b) if you are suggesting that I try the wired connection (with the adapter) then, as I said, the power cable on it is very short, even with the HDMI extender cable, so that I had to turn the socket board on its side. But you said earlier that it is the wrong adapter. Are you saying then, that by connecting the Ethernet cable directly to the TV (and not connected via an adapter) that this will be as secure (or even more secure) as having the WPS engaged with a wi-fi set up (which is what I have, for the TV)? 

Sorry, but it is not clear what you are advocating. So the only problem I have at the moment is that WPS does not seem to be engaged, insofar as there is no light showing on the router. Until I have clearer information, I am reluctant to try a wired connection, although, if I do have the correct adapter, I suspect it will work. My problems when trying it previously seemed to stem from the fact that I was working from a TV that had been set up with a wired connection. The guys on the videos were working from a wireless TV set-up, and converting it to a wired one for the Fire stick. Do you follow me? Also, I hit a brick wall, when the Amazon password (when registering the Fire stick during the installation process) was not recognised. I had no choice but to contact them. If I had not changed the wired set-up to the simpler wireless one (as you described yesterday) before I called Amazon, they may have been able to talk me through the wired set-up. The TV manual gives 4 scenarios for connecting TV to the Internet. Originally I went with Type 4, 'Wired Network set-up'. Type 3 is 'Unsecured network with any type of wireless LAN router'. I take it that Type 4 would be the one to follow, when/if I decide to try again.

Thanks for your interest.

Baldrick1

Fix

Right, let me start again.

You have two totally separate ways of streaming from the internet to your TV:

1. The inbuilt Smart TV function.

2. Your Firestick.

If you are happy just using the Firestick then forget all about feeding internet to your TV, you do not need it. When you want to stream programmes from an online source to your TV then just go into your TV input select function on your TV remote control and select the Firestick. 

If you also want to use the TV Smart function instead of the Firestick then you also need a feed to your TV. It is totally isolated from the Firestick so it can be either wired or wireless. As you already have an Ethernet cable running to your TV then just plug it in. You need the Type 4. Ethernet will always be more secure than any type of wireless connection.

Forget all about adaptors etc, you don't need any. Neither do you need to touch your working Firestick connection. As I said before, you are thinking that this is more complicated than it really is.

Moderator and Customer

ronindundee
Dabbler

Just to let you know that I folllowed your advice re just plugging ethernet cable directly into tv ethernet input, without using adapter. I didn't even have to go through Wired Network Set-up routine. And, whereas earlier today I was not getting reception on terrestrial tv for bb1, Dave, etc., every channel seems to be stable, including the HD channels, which were coming and going earlier. (The only one I can't get is Talking Pictures, so I will try re-tuning.) I watched the video on youtube yet again, and realised why you said that I had bought the wrong adapter: the link for the ugreen adapter takes you to the chromecast one, with the longer lead. As folk on youtube had reported problems with that adapter, I went for the one I have, but probably a foolish decision. So at the moment the Fire stick is still connected to wi-fi. If I have problems with terrestrial tv, as I did last night (as I hadn't linked up the ethernet connection) then I may try installing the wired connection to the stick. If it is completely the wrong adapter, then obviously it will not work, and I will go back to the connection direct to the tv. As your advice was the most helpful (although others gave useful information) I will try to indicate on the site that you solved the problem. I have to say though that I am still getting used to the ins and outs of this site (I need to read more of the information) so I just hope I can do that. I am also getting used to both the new tv and the Fire stick, e.g., trying to figure out how to get live tv for some apps through the stick. I tried the 'Live tv' option, but no luck. Channel 4/All4 (although it does not have Film4) is described as having live tv as option. I can always contact channel 4 about this. But if the terrestrial tv signals hold up, I won't need to bother about this aspect. I need to wait to see what the weather does to both terrestrial and Fire stick. With the wired connection direct tv, I would have thought that weather/transmitter factors should not affect it, at least. 

Thanks again.

Tags (1)
Baldrick1

If you want to connect your Firestick (assuming that you have the second generation one with Alexa) via Ethernet then I would get the proper Amazon one. It's got to be the safest optiom. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Ethernet-Adaptor-Remote-models/dp/B01LXP5TXI/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=5861...

Moderator and Customer