cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Amazon Fire Stick with wired connection not giving Plusnet network as option

FIXED
ronindundee
Dabbler

Installing Amazon Fire Stick with wired connection not giving Plusnet network as option

I just bought a Sony Bravia Smart tv ( KDL32WD75 model) and have a wired connection ((a) because my pc is not wi-fi enabled, and (b) because the general opinion online (spec youtube) is that it is the best way to go. On finding that 'all4' was not available as one of the pre-installed options (although the description given by Argos strongly suggests that it is: a Q & A with them had them admit that it was 'potentially misleading') I then had to invest in a Fire Stick (I do not have a smart phone so could not, and don't want to use 'mirroring'.)

Installation went o.k. initially, but I hit a problem when I came to indicating the Network I was with, as Plusnet did not come up as an option. Let me just say at this point that I had the tv settings showing that wi-fi enabled was 'off' (i.e., set the built-in wireless wi-fi to 'off'.)  I tried the 'other networks' options, by entering Plusnet (+the code as provided in the Reference card from Plusnet) though the on-screen keyboard (through the fire stick) does not provide a hyphen (and the card includes this between the name of the network and the code that follows.) This stumbling block proved insurmountable. 

So my main question is: why does Plusnet not show as an available network? And do I have to go through the set-up routine for the router, this time taking the wi-fi option (which will make my pc temporarily unusable) having changed the option on the tv to ' wi-fi on', before it is possible to change it to a wired connection? I say this because all the advice on youtube about installing a wired connection with a fire stick seems to be from those who already have a wi-fi connection.

Although one solution may be to simply convert my pc to wi-fi, I am reluctant to do that. This whole business is particularly annoying as the normal/terrestrial tv signal is unreliable (I can lose every channel once a week on average) due to the effect of weather on the transmitter. I aslo have problems with some of all4 material though the pc due to 'ad blocking', despite whitelisting the channel. Can anyone advise me? Thanking you in advance. Ron.

24 REPLIES 24
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Installing Amazon Fire Stick with wired connection not giving Plusnet network as option

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Installing Amazon Fire Stick with wired connection not giving Plusnet network as option

@ronindundee 

I will just add one point that may be of help......you say no hypen is available ?

On my fire stick when I get the on screen keyboard. up there are 3 small squares at the bottom left hand side of the key board that allow use of capitals, and numerous other signs including the hypen.

This referrs to the latest firestick.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@ronindundee 

Installation went o.k. initially, but I hit a problem when I came to indicating the Network I was with, as Plusnet did not come up as an option.

I suggest you check that Wifi is enabled on the router, it should be by default but it's easy to check. You might also try separating the 5ghz and 2.4 bands by unsynching them and changing the SSID of the 5ghz ( suggest adding 5g to the normal SSID name )

You can check and change the Wifi settings from your wired PC by logging in to the Hub Manager, see the Help pages here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/  goto the 'How do I check or change my Wifi settings' dropdown

NB I'm assuming you have a PlusNet Hub one router ?

Any queries, please post back and well try and assist

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@ronindundee 

Reading your post I get the impression, excuse me it I've misunderstood, that you believe that the router will only work in wired or wireless mode. If so then this is incorrect. It is common practice for say a pc and tv to be connected by Ethernet cable and a firestick etc. to use wireless at the same time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@ronindundee 

Reading your post I get the impression, .....that you believe that the router will only work in wired or wireless mode. If so then this is incorrect. .

That is how I read it too. If so, it might help to turn WiFi on. The Firestick itself is very easy to setup (at least the latest version is).

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
ronindundee
Dabbler

Thanks for the response. Yes, the way the instruction booklet reads, does give that impression. What doesn't make sense is that the tv terrestrial/normal signals are getting through (as the weather is good at present) on the same ethernet cable that should be supporting the fire stick. The pc is still working (that is what I am on at the moment) so all the connections relating to the router/modem are in place, as are the connections serving the fire stick.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@ronindundee 

What doesn't make sense is that the tv terrestrial/normal signals are getting through (as the weather is good at present) on the same ethernet cable that should be supporting the fire stick.

The fire stick doesn't have an ethernet connection, unless you've purchased a separate ethernet adapter for it which I doubt. It connects to the TV via an HDMI connection which allows it to use the TV only for picture and sound. The firestick connects to the Internet itself using Wifi. The wired network connection to your TV is ONLY to allow the TV to connect to the Internet , the firestick can't communicate with the Internet via the TV.

The firestick must be configured using the remote to connect to a wireless network

Hope that makes sense

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ronindundee
Dabbler

Thanks to you for the response. I am pleasantly surprised at how helpful and responsive people are being over this issue. I should use this site more often than I do. The router is a 2704N if that answers your question. I don't know if that makes it a 'one' or not. And you lost me I'm afraid, with all those technical terms. But judging from your response, and Baldrick's, it seems as if the solution is a simple one, if a little time-consuming. When installing the router I didn't engage wi-fi, as my pc is not wi-fi enabled. I guess I should invest in a dongle to change that, as they only seem to cost about a tenner. 

After retiring last night (or rather at about 2 a.m.) I came to the conclusion that I should go through the installation process for the router again, but this time take the wi-fi option. But also thought it best to initially then install the fire stick in a wireless set-up. I would first of all change the tv setting to engage the wireless LAN, which is set to 'off' at present. Do you agree? Baldrick was correct in thinking that I was assuming that the router can only serve all wired connections, or all wireless. I realised that the videos I had watched in youtube of guys installing a wired connection for fire sticks, were of those who had, at that point, a wi-fi set up for the tv, which I don't at present. It seems obvious now! So I am about to re-install the router/modem, but following the wi-fi instructions in the Plusnet booklet. I will have a quick look at the Help section you mention first, but I think that all I will need is to follow the booklet. I just hope that my pc continues to be connected to the net while I am doing this, though will probably buy a dongle in the next day or two, in any case. Thanks again.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No, you don't need to do anything to your PC or TV or re-install the modem/router. All you need to do is check that WIFI is 'enabled' on the router. I had wrongly assumed assumed you had a Hub One whereas you have a HUB zero, hang on while I find the instructions for the Hub zero(2704)...

ronindundee
Dabbler

Just a quick response to Baldrick, as I need to get on and re-install the router/modem, to move from a wired connection to wi-fi. I did buy an adapter. I wouldn't be able to make a wired connection to the fire stick otherwise (see youtube videos re the 2 main ways to do this, one is buy a UK guy, and the other is US.) The adapter is a Ugreen 2.0 Ethernet Network Adapter with OTG (micro USB to RG45 LAN) which i am pretty sure is the correct one. 

Thanks again

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You DONT need to reinstall the modem router or move from a wired to a wireless connection on the PC or TV

ronindundee
Dabbler

Hello. Thanks for the reply. My fire stick is 2nd gen, and I can assure you that there is no hyphen option. At least I couldn't find one among the fields you refer to (u/c to l/c; accents, etc.) But I think that re-installing my router/modem for wi-fi should do the trick. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@ronindundee  Ok, I don't think any of us expected you to have an Ethernet adapter for the firestick (well I certainly didn't! I wasn't even aware they existed). So you can forget about wifi completely.

I've just looked at the video (this one I assume https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LMSZYGsK0 ) and if you follow that and connect an ethernet cable from the firestick adapter to a spare LAN port on your router, it should all just work.

steveocee
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

What is the obsession with re-installing the router? You don't need to do that. WiFi AND Wired will operate side by side quite happily with no need for voodoo. Just enable the wireless. PC doesn't need a dongle (keep it wired as wired is preferable).

Amazon do their own ethernet adapter for the firestick, I use one in our bedroom, it works great and guarantees a good connection.

www.steveocee.co.uk