cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas please to retrieve CCTV files on FTP NAS.....

d8smt
Rising Star

Ideas please to retrieve CCTV files on FTP NAS.....

Hi All,

Currently I have a NAS that sits behind my PlusNet HubOne router, and a couple of CCTV cameras. I also have a PlusNet static IP address. When triggered, the cameras write a video file to the FTP server directly using a fixed IP address & port 192.168.1.100:1234. All well & good so far.

If I'm out in the general world & want to access these files, how do I do it through a PlusNet router? Is it possible? I know on my old DLINK router I could do this with port mapping through my PlusNet static IP address (so, yes, the NAS does support it) , but I'm stumped how to get the file listings & retrieve them through the HubOne.

Alternatively, is there a decent service outside of my own LAN that I could write these video files to in orderot access them when I'm not on my home network?

Thx

7 REPLIES 7
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Ideas please to retrieve CCTV files on FTP NAS.....

Can you do this through port forwarding?

If you go into Advanced Settings > Firewall > Port Forwarding , you should be able to input any internal IP you want to forward to. If you want to add a custom port, i.e one not in the drop down list, click the Manage Games & Applications button, at the bottom of the same screen.

There may be other ways to do it but I'm not 'techy' enough. Maybe one of the others will have a simpler solution.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have you tried port forwarding in the Hub One?

Cross posted again due to shoddy forum software Ticked_off @jaread83 please fix this.

d8smt
Rising Star

Hi Pete

Yes, this is how I used to do it on my old DLINK router, but for some reason it doesn't work on the HubOne. Not sure of the reason exactly. Also port forwarding doesn't work dor the video stream for the cameras on the HubOne, again it worked fine on my old DLINK router.

cheers

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Not too sure how it's done..like I said, i'm not too much up on techy bits, but I'm sure one of the others can sort it. Here's what I use...

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swannone-indooroutdoor-ip-wi-fi-camera-a60tr

I can view this on my mobile (I get a text alert if it goes 'active'), works through home network. Also records audio

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

A quick Google search shows that Dlink routers have a default IP address of 192.168.1.1 but the Plusnet Hub One has a default of 192.168.1.254.

Try switching everything off and then power on individually starting with the Hub One.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@d8smt

What sort of NAS ?

A number of the NAS manufacturers have some form of remote access solution, I know WD have and some of the others seem to.

While personally I'm not a great fan of this as it seems to have potential for some sort of "mega hack" there is always a trade off between security and functionality and it is probably safer than port forwarding on an ISP router to a domestic NAS.

Happy to have this line of argument demolished by someone who knows more than me !

I am the satisfied customer....
d8smt
Rising Star

The NAS is also a DLINK NAS - I have 2, but I'm using a DNS-323 to collect the CCTV files. This is set up to work providing the router allows the firewall access, which the PlusNet HubOne doesn't seem to do. Previous to this I had a DIR-865 DLINK router, which allowed all the port forwarding/FTP access to take place (it was configurable). Unfortunately it's no longer the most reliable, which is wht I switched t othe HubOne (which is seemingly less reliable........ironically.)