cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISP on new router

b5
Hooked

ISP on new router

I have had a plusnet router for about 10 years now and has become very slow. I recently bought a new TP-link router however i cannot seem to connect to the internet when i try to set it up. I checked my ISP online and it said BT America’s Inc even though i live in the UK and have a UK IP address. I asked in the BT community and they advised me to ask in the plusnet forum.
Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.
Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: ISP on new router

Have you tried this link?

b5
Hooked

Thanks that seems helpful but i don’t think my ISP is with plusnet as it says BT america’s inc on ShowMyISP
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Who do you pay for your internet? If Plusnet, then yes, your internet will be with them. I seem to recall that some ip ranges were mis- identified after being transferred a while back, but thoought that had been sorted.

b5
Hooked

I think BT are my broadband provider however they still advised me to come to the plusnet forum after i explained my situation
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

If BT are your provider, i'm not sure you will get much help from a Plusnet forum. They are part of the same company, but that is where the similarity ends. What is your ip address range?

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

There is also this thread. The sticky referred to is #1 now.

b5
Hooked

Thanks sm for your help so far. My IP address is 150.143.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Not a good idea to post your full ip address. I'd edit out the last 2 octets

However, that IS  a plusnet ip address

To setup a tplnk router for plusnet, use the quick setup , select Plusnet_adsl  and enter your plusnet username and password as described here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

b5
Hooked

Thanks very much have now edited this. Does this mean my ISP is plusnet and i should use their username and password when setting up the router?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, I've just edited my post above with a helpful link

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

b5
Hooked

You’ve cleared that up very well for my thank you. I just need my ISP password which i understand is the same as my member centre password. I’ve gone onto the reset page and said it has sent a reset email however this email has not arrived and i don’t know which email it has sent it to. Have you got any ideas?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It will have gone to the email address to which you normally get notifications from PlusNet for things like bills etc

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'