Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv4 address - conflict with VPN network drives

Wingers72

IPv4 address - conflict with VPN network drives

Hi

I'm not really sure I understand what I am about to write here:

I work from a home office and every day I contact my employers network drives through software called Mobile Net Switch.

After 5 months with no problems this connection has suddenly stopped working.

My IT guys in Germany say that there is a conflict in that my IPv4 address is the same as the IP address that my work uses for the network drive connection.

I'm currently on hold waiting for Plusnet to answer my call (13 mins so far) and I'm writing here because the 'online chat' service is unavailable and I can't find anywhere to post a support question.

Does any one have any ideas as to how to fix this conflict?

Thanks in advance

Ian

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: IPv4 address - conflict with VPN network drives

My IT guys in Germany say that there is a conflict in that my IPv4 address is the same as the IP address that my work uses for the network drive connection.

The typical problem is that your local private IP subnet is the same as that on the remote network. However, if it's been working for 5 months I can't see why it should suddenly be a problem UNLESS something has changed either at your end or the remote end.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Andrew_Hardisty
Dabbler

Re: IPv4 address - conflict with VPN network drives

Hi,

You don't say which router you have but the Hub One has an option in Advanced Settings > Home Network > IP Addresses to use the 172.16.0.64 - 172.16.255.254 range for your internal network rather than 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253 

Note that doing this changes the Hub One's web admin interface address to 172.16.0.1 if you're using that rather than http://dsldevice.lan/ to access it.

You can also edit DHCP assignments so that your devices can always be assigned an address which hopefully won't cause a problem.