cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Passthrough TG582n

mash
Dabbler

IP Passthrough TG582n

Hi is it possible to do ip passthrough on this router? trying to get open/type 1 nat on my ps4

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IP Passthrough TG582n

The simplest way would be to configure your TG582n to 'bridge' mode, which means that it is no longer behaves as a router but instead allows direct access to the internal broadband modem by providing a PPPoE interface on one of the TG582n LAN sockets.

You can search ("TG582n" and "bridge") on this forum or Google for instructions on how to do this, but this link seems to be a good place to start - Using the Technicolor TG582n in Bridge Mode

Once you have done that, you then need to use an ethernet cable to connect the PS4 directly to the TG582n (PPPoE) LAN socket, and also change your PS4 network configuration to connect using PPPoE instead of DHCP.

Instructions for PS4 PPPoE can be found here - Playstation4 - Connecting to the Internet

Wink

mash
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. I had found that post but it looks like there is no actual ip passthrough function/interface which is what I really require, think I will get rid of the plusnet router all together and go for something with more options.

Thanks again
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve if making a PPPoE 'bridge' doesn't do what you described, unless you also have a WAN /30 or /29 subnet and are trying to set one of the other internet facing IPs to be redirected with 1:1 NAT to the local LAN IP which your PS4 is on.

Do you have a single WAN IP address which you want to exclusively be connected to the PS4 ?,  or are you trying to do something different ?

What do you think IP passthrough gives you, that a direct modem connection doesn't ?.

IP passthough generally means that the terminating device (in this case your PS4) gets assigned the WAN address, which means there can't be any intermediate router which is already using that WAN address for itself.

My setup is a combination of a /30 WAN IP range, a router in 'bridge' modem mode, then a router that uses the first IP for my DHCP LAN network, then the other IPs are 1:1 NAT to another local router and consoles.

Another thought, does PS4 support IPv6 like the Xbox One ?, as the TG582n can do tunneled IPv6.

Having an IPv6 on a gaming console is the equivalent of running no-NAT/1:1-NAT/IP-passthrough, just with noticeably lower latency - which is nice Smiley.

mash
Dabbler

I'm looking to achieve an open/type 1 nat rather than type 2 or 3 on the ps4 and not effect other devices or the functionality of the router. the simplest way of doing that as far as I'm aware (limited knowledge on this obviously) is to have an ip passthrough function on the router. However if the ipv6 idea works then great! I can't seem to find any concrete information on the ps4's ipv6 abilities though.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need someone here with TG582n NAT expertise to help you.

"IP-passthough" normally means giving your router's WAN IP address to a single device on the LAN, thereby achieving a direct internet connection but has the side-effect of making the router invisible, which I now understand to not be what you want.

Good luck with that !  Roll_eyes

mash
Dabbler

From the guides I've seen ip passthrough allows the ps4 to connect without interference from the router while not effecting the way other devices connect, I will look into ipv6 for the ps4 though - sounds promising
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Hi mash,

This http://npr.me.uk/forwardports.html may help you

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mash
Dabbler

Hi I have tried all manner of port forwarding/turning firewall off/DMZ but I think to achieve proper open/type 1 nat you need the ps4 to use passthrough. basically getting it be as if the ps4 was plugged directly into the modem. by the sounds of it ipv6 might do what I need aswell
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The most common cause of failing to getting type 1 nat to a PS4 with this router is people configuring the PS4 to a static IP address.
The PS4 needs to be configured to obtain it's IP address automatically (via DHCP).
After this has been done and the ps4 rebooted. Go the the routers network settings, find the PS4 and tick the box "always use the same IP address".
Ensure UPnP is enabled and you should consistently get type 1 nat. I'm told this even work with two ps4's on the network.

Note: Disable all old port forward rules, any old portforward rules still active may get in the way. Port forward is not needed -- UPnP will do the job.

mash
Dabbler

I'll give it a go later
mash
Dabbler

still no joy tried everything, the port forwarding is off tried with and without dmz. still only achieving type 2
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Are you sure the settings within the PS4 is set to automatically obtain the IP address.

Also IIRC there's a setting to enable UPnP in the PS4, that needs to be enabled.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding the PS4 settings, does this video help ? - How to get Open NAT type on PS4

mash
Dabbler

I've looked at every guide and video already with no luck, here the guy gets proper type 1 but the plusnet router doesn't support passthrough.
https://youtu.be/i2qr0o5oPNU

Thanks for all the suggestions though, appreciate it.