cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to use a my own Modem & Poor Speeds

ashrafmiah93
Grafter

I want to use a my own Modem & Poor Speeds

Hey guys, hope everyone is well. Past few weeks ive been getting really poor speeds. I understand when i do get 8mb and everyone in the house is using the internet at the same time speeds will will be slow on whatever device im using but what isnt normal is getting poor speeds of .5-1mb too many times in the day, even more so at this early in the morning. Especially when everyone in my house is a sleep so no one is hogging the broadband. Below are some stats:

17 days, 3:20:38

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 511 / 8,655

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 17.14 / 303.99

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.7 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.4 / 39.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.4 / 14.0

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 32,168 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 708 / 38,497

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 445 / 135,450

BT speed test done at 02:52:

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
  3.01 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.01 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 7.64 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.32 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.32Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Onto my second issue.....I've been having very poor wifi signals at my house and the Technicolour tg582n i was given by plusnet really isnt the best piece of kit. I honestly believe this modem/router is the cause of my broadband issue and it has been restricting a lot of my speeds and acting poor in general. I've read from a lot of people how poorly this modem/router actually is for that reason I've been looking at the TP-Link AC260, read very good reviews and is considered to be one of the, if not best in the market right now. My house is pretty big with 3 floors and im a avid gamer so i really could do with a very good modem/router that has good specs. I currently cannot get fibre optic broadband where i live so if theres anyway i can get the best out of my brodband id atleast want to upgrade my modem/router. So basically this thread is me asking what steps do i need to take to make this happen, do i just plug in the new modem/router and thats it or is there more? I'd be greatly appreciative if someone could give me a step by step guide. Also, if theres a better modem/router anyone recommends please do let me know. Thank You.

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: I want to use a my own Modem & Poor Speeds

Hi @ashrafmiah93. Before you go spending money on new equipment, I would see if you can resolve the issues that those stats reveal:-

(1) Your downstream SNR is terrible, most likely as a result of (2) your error second count (3) your CRC error  count and (4) your HEC error count.

Your profile is showing reasonable figures, but something has sucker-punched your connection at some point.

With regard to the 'best' modem/router, sorry I have no suggestions, but one of the more experienced guys on here can probably answer that.

If you haven't already done so, I would run through the ADSL speed faults sticky near the top of the Broadband forum, and see if that helps. If it doesn't and you still have problems, come back here and some-one will most likely have some suggestions. To be honest, I would follow that thread and then report a fault, anyway.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

PlusNet are happy for customers to use their own equipment and have the settings required listed here

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

If you're on ADSL make sure you get one that is compatible with both ADSL & VDSL - to future proof things.

Brian

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A cheap option, is to ask PlusNet for a HubOne. I'd imagine you'd have to commit to a new contract though and pay a delivery charge (£7.99 I think). I believe this is ADSL and VDSL compatible (it is basically a BT Homehub 5a).

When I changed from ADSL from Fibre I noticed a difference in Wi-Fi strengh in that from the Thomson.

Though as others have suggested, don't rule it out being a problem with your line so a new router may not make a difference. It could - but it may not.