cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to connect using my EE modem/router

Mars

I want to connect using my EE modem/router

I've just switched to Plusnet, my fibre line went live on the 15th and I'm still waiting for the Plusnet modem, so I thought I'd have a go with my EE modem. No go, a solid red Broadband light. After hunting around I logged into the modem and found a toggle for ADSL or fibre/ethernet, so I switched to the latter. That produced a solid green light for Broadband but a flashing red light for Internet. There are a Broadband username and password in the modem settings which I wonder might be EE specific but I left them alone. After switching back and forth I now find I no longer have a solid green light for Broadband when toggled to Fibre. So I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm ill, self-isolating and dependent on the internet to access the outside world. I don't have a tv. Whinge over.

Mars

10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: I want to connect using my EE modem/router

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You’ll need to be able to enter your Plusnet username and password, have you done that?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Mars 

I'm pretty sure that you can't use an EE modem/router but if you can you need to unplug the DSL line then factory reset the hub by pushing a paperclip in the factory reset hole. Keep the switch closed for 30 seconds. Then enter your Plusnet name in the username field followed by @plusdsl.net and password. If these settings are retained then plug the DSL cable in whilst it's trying to connect.

Good luck!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mars

Thanks, I have done that but it didn't help.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I think you will find that the EE Hubs are locked to EE  and not useable with plusnet, unlike the BT Smart Hubs which presently are compatible due to the programmed format in the logging in procedure of your username and passwords being similar.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

At the risk of asking a silly question, are you SURE the Plusnet service has gone live ?

From my experience the "go live" email can be a bit in advance of the change of service.

Did the EE service actually stop working ?

If not it might still be live.

As others have said, BT Home Hubs can be made to work, has anyone nearby got an old one in a draw ?

I am the satisfied customer....
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@markhawkin wrote:

As others have said, BT Home Hubs can be made to work, has anyone nearby got an old one in a draw ?

Only a Home Hub 5 or a Smarthub will work on Fibre.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mars

I was initially told my broadband would go live at midnight on 17th but then received an email on 15th to say it had already gone live, so I reckon it has. I've pretty much given up on trying to make the EE router work after the advice I've been given here. Thanks for your input.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @Mars,

Thanks for reaching out to us here. 

I'm sorry your router hasn't arrived just yet, it was dispatched 16th April so should be with your fairly quickly. For now while you're waiting are you able to use an old router or borrow a router from a family member/friend? Once you've got the Plusnet router give us a nudge here and we'll happily look into a credit for the time you went live to when you got the router. 

Thanks. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Mars, looks like you've received the router now?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵