Did you mean: 

HubOne - printers on LAN connections disconnect every day

FIXED
goldnet
Hooked
Fixes: 2

HubOne - printers on LAN connections disconnect every day

Hi all

Recently moved house and signed up with PlusNet SuperFast Fibre. So far service seems good (77mb connection). Have a small problem with the router disconnecting my two printers each day. When I go to prnt, the printers report offline and I have have to turn them off then back on to get a new connection.

This happens when on wifi (very slow printing) and a LAN cabled connection. I have also set the IP addresses to persistent but this makes no difference.

Never experienced this on other routers with other providers.

It's a bit of a pain as when cycling an inkjet printer you waste ink....! As I work from home on a number of devices, running around the house trying to reactivate a printer is a bit of a pain!

Any experiences or solutions gratefully received!

10 REPLIES 10
jonathandibble
Dabbler

Re: HubOne - printers on LAN connections disconnect every day

Hi @goldnet,

I have experienced the very same problem, and have tried a cabled connection instead of WiFi.  Just like you report this change makes no difference.  I have also given my printer a fixed IP address, and that didn't improve things.

I cant offer any help or solution I'm afraid, just a little empathy as I suffer the problem regularly.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I found that disabling SNMP monitoring got rid off the spurious off-lIne messages, unfortunately I won't have access to my PC for a week or so so can't give anything more specific.
jonathandibble
Dabbler

@Browni I would like to hear more detail when you have access to your pc.  I cant find any settings for SNMP within the router.

Thanks

Jonathan

Browni
Aspiring Hero

The settings I changed are in the printer settings.
jonathandibble
Dabbler

Thanks @Browni I will explore my printer setup in the morning. Smiley

Browni
Aspiring Hero

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi. I also have had this issue. The printers never reported disconnected but refused to print anything and showed offline. They would not work unless I power cycled the router. I solved the problem by logging into the printers Web page using its ip, and setting a static ip outside the dhcp range within the printer itself
goldnet
Hooked

Fix

Hi

I have actually resolved this - it was setting a fixed IP on the router in Advanced Settingsthen restarting the printer to 'fix' it. 

Penfold above posted another workable solution which I think I recall using previously - set a fixed IP through the printer's configuration web page that is outside the DHCP range the router uses. You can adjust the range used by the router (eg set it to start allocating IPs at xxx.xxx.xxx.020 and set the printer to, say .010.

@jonathandibble wrote:

Hi @goldnet,

I have experienced the very same problem, and have tried a cabled connection instead of WiFi.  Just like you report this change makes no difference.  I have also given my printer a fixed IP address, and that didn't improve things.

I cant offer any help or solution I'm afraid, just a little empathy as I suffer the problem regularly.

jonathandibble
Dabbler

I glad its been resolved for you guys.  None of the above fix it for me

My fixed IP address for the printer is out of the range of DHCP server built into the hub.

The SNMP suggestion seems very Windows centric, there are no Windows machines on my network.

Thanks for trying, glad it resolved for you guy.  I will just keep powering off my printer and back on, until it dies or I move broadband.

Cheers Guys !!!

goldnet
Hooked

Hi

Sorry to hear it's still a problem for you.

I don't know if this helps but looking through the advanced network settings for one of my printers (a Lexmark E120n), there is a tickbox for SNMP Set Enabled. So even though there isn't a setting in the router, you may be able to access it that way.  I use mix of Macs and PCs. It seems that Macs can make use of SNMP - see here https://www.macworld.com/article/1136874/business/snmpv3-osx.html

Whether or not that has anything at all to do with your printer IP cycling, who knows...?!

Good luck