Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HubOne firmware issue with DNS

chris1610
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: HubOne firmware issue with DNS

A month or two ago I tried changing from daily scheduled reboots of my Hub One to weekly. I changed on Monday and on Friday I started getting DNS problems. Changed back and it's been fine since.

Daily reboots really do seem to solve all Hub One problems for me.

IanDL
Dabbler

Maybe in your case, but when I had this issue (if, indeed, it is the same issue) it could happen several times a day.

In my case, the only times it happened were when I was connecting to my employers network using Microsoft Direct Access. I'm >95% sure (but never managed to prove definitively) that traffic using this protocol was what triggered the issues with the PlusNet HubOne. Nobody else mentioned precisely this trigger so I assume there other protocols / port usage / something that can trigger the issue. Probably it is a combination of things - even using Direct Access I could sometimes go for days without a recurrence.

I'm not sure you'll ever get to the bottom of this one except by chance. A lot of more recent posts on this thread seem to be identifying this problem under a wide range of circumstances, many of which I'm not convinced are actually the same issue. Several contributors last year had made progress to pinning this down to a fairly specific and testable set of behaviors, and @bobpullen had put loads of effort in, but nobody ever really had time for the full-blown diagnostics necessary to fully pin the issue down. In my case, I switched to a DrayTek router (which I can highly recommend if you want a lot of flexibility configuring your network), I couldn't spare the time to switch back, my employer stopped using Direct Access and I subsequently stopped being a PlusNet customer (at least for now).

Andrew_Hardisty
Dabbler

It's been OK for the 2 days since restarting.