Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub password for 5GHz wifi not accepted

FIXED
greenkr
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hub password for 5GHz wifi not accepted

My contract with Plusnet started last week. I set up the hub and separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi, adding -5 to the 5GHz SSID. I didn't change the default password for either band. It worked fine to start with, but after a day or two the password was no longer accepted for the 5GHz wifi. Trying to connect devices to the 5GHz band now gives 'incorrect password' and I can only connect to the 2.4GHz band.

I have several Apple devices and a couple of Firesticks, all of which connected initially to the 5GHz band but subsequently failed to connect.

Any suggestions please?

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Hub password for 5GHz wifi not accepted

Fix

Welcome to the forum.

My first move would be to re-enter the password. If that fails resynchronise the two bands then start again with separating them. If that doesn't work do a factory reset on the Hub by pushing a paperclip of similar in the reset hole and hold the switch closed for 30 seconds, wait the 10 minutes or so for it to sort itself out and get back on line then set it up again from scratch.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

greenkr
Hooked

Thank you for your quick reply and your advice. I had already tried re-applying the password.

I have re-synched and re-separated the bands, and am able to access the 5GHz band on my iphone again. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days, and try resetting the router if it fails again.

YorkshirePud82
Grafter

I seem to have been experiencing a similar issue myself. I segregated both wireless networks so as to avoid my devices flip flopping between them (in essence trying to force them to use the 5ghz preferably).

Now most devices will only connect to the 5ghz for a short time before being thrown off citing connection issues or authentication errors.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @greenkr,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that the issue with your 5GHz wifi has caused. I'm glad to hear that this looks to be resolved now, please get back in touch if this issue returns.

Hi @YorkshirePud82,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing a similar problem. Have you tried re-syncing and then re-separating the bands? I'd also recommend that you try factory resetting the router. If this doesn't resolve the problem, you can find help with your wifi connection here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
greenkr
Hooked

My re-synching and re-separating worked for only a few minutes before the password for the 5GHz band was 'incorrect'. I have now reset the router and tried separating again, will see how long that lasts!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

This is very weird. I'm sorry if I'm stating the flipping obvious but you are selecting the 5GHz band by doing a search for available networks on your device, making sure that you definitely select the one from your router, not a neighbour and connecting to that?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

YorkshirePud82
Grafter

@EmilyD I do actually have my own thread open where i am going through some fault finding so i don't want to hijack greenkr's thread. I just wanted to let them know they are not suffering alone.

greenkr
Hooked

After resetting the hub, the separation of the bands is (so far!) working ok. The password for the 5GHz band is accepted. Again, thank you for the advice @Baldrick1.