cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one

Rappers
Hooked

Hub one

I upgraded on Monday to Fibre Extra, not getting good download speeds as estimated, should I been supplied with the Newer Hub One faster router and can you line test please.

11 REPLIES 11
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Rappers
Hooked

Re: Hub one

The Technicolour one.
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Rappers

If you are using an old ADSL router it sounds to me that you currently haven't been upgraded to fibre or it wouldn't work.

The activation email is misleading (or perhaps a complete lie !) from my experience as it seems to be when the job goes to Openreach not when Openreach upgrade you.

When you do get a fibre upgrade your ADSL router won't work.

I would expect the Hub One to be on its way to you (assuming you have paid for the postage).

I am the satisfied customer....
Rappers
Hooked

I have the 582n router, the advisor said this would work.

markhawkin
Pro

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/TG582n-Information-and-Specifications/ba-p/1322590

says it is ADSL2+ / ADSL2 / ADSL

There is a version (Technicolor 582n - Fibre) that will work with an Openreach fibre modem.

Do you have an Openreach fibre modem as well ?

If not, now would be a good time to ask for a Hub One to be sent PDQ !

Rappers
Hooked

I do have the BT modem connected but it is still only getting around 35 to 45 Mbps

markhawkin
Pro

Hello @Rappers

That explains why anything works at all !

In that case I would try a filtered faceplate and ensure you are plugged in to the master socket.

I spent a while fixing the fibre broadband for a relative and this fixed the speed issue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Landline-Telephone-Faceplate-Highest-Quality/dp/B00HSRKB6Q

there was an alternative, disconnecting all the internal phone wiring but they liked being able to use the phone....

Rappers
Hooked

I’m plugged into the master socket, is it easy to fit and does it work.

markhawkin
Pro

Have you tried the master socket with no internal phone wiring connected ?

If, when you do that, the speed significantly improves it suggests the house wiring is slowing the broadband.

If you leave it with just the router plugged in and no other phone wiring connected for a day and the speed doesn't improve I would say there is less chance that the filtered plate will fix things.

With my relatives, they are a fair distance from the VDSL cabinet and previously got an unstable 15Mb/s. With a direct connection to the newly fitted filtered face plate, the speed improved to around 30Mb/s and no drop outs which I considered a result.

Rappers
Hooked

Will try this as we never use the house phone

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, if you are using an Openreach modem with a TG582n router, are you sure you don't already have a filtered face plate fitted over your BT master socket, as it was mandatory to check or fit a filtered socket for managed installations a few years ago?

The upper socket is for the fibre connection, and the lower socket is for normal telephone.

0faceplate.jpg

It is not possible to get any line statistics from the Openreach modem to get a better understanding of what may be wrong.  However, as you have renewed your contract very recently, Plusnet should have offered to send you a new Hub One router for free.  You may need to pay postage and packing.

When you run speed tests, make sure you do so with a directly wired ethernet connected computer. Do not run speed tests over wifi because it is likely to max out around 40 mbps.   

eg.  http://beta.speedtest.net

If wired speed tests are still below Plusnet estimates, you may have a line fault, in which case you need to contact Plusnet directly in the absence of a Hub One router to be able to check the actual broadband line speeds for yourself.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-