Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one wifi 5Ghz speed

FIXED
chris1610
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Hub one wifi 5Ghz speed

All devices connected via 5Ghz wifi. Over a period of a week I run speed tests from PC and phone every day, and consistently get speeds of 24-30 Mbs, should be over 70 for PC and high 60's for phone. End of week, reboot router, both PC and phone immediately up to correct speeds.

For another week I run speed test every day multiple times a day and always, without a single exception, get expected (fast) results. Today I run speed test, back to 24-30 MBs for both devices. Connect PC with wire to router, get 76Mbs. Disconnect wire, all devices 5Ghz wifi still 24-30Mbs. Also tested with all devices other than one running speed test disconnected, doesn't help. Restart router, both PC and phone immediately back to fast speeds.

I have Hub one router with separate SSID for 5Ghz and wifi analyzer shows exactly two signals on 5Ghz band, strong one from my hub one router and weaker one from old BT homehub 4 being used as an access point downstairs. (But home hub 4 was disconnected from network when I ran tests.) 

So it looks like hub one has a problem where it slows down for multiple devices, and doesn't work at full speed until the router is restarted.

I think I came across another report of the same symptoms when this first happened to me, but there was no resolution, and I can't find it now.

Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
chris1610
Grafter

Re: Hub one wifi 5Ghz speed

Windows 10 on the PC was reporting it was connected to hub one using 802.11ac when the problems were happening.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, reconfigure the Hub One to use wireless N mode  (217mbps on 5 GHz).  See if you observe the same symptoms.

I presume both 5 GHz signals are well spaced apart because AC mode can use upto 80MHz bandwidth.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
chris1610
Grafter

I'm experimenting with this. But not sure why? And if using 802.11 a/n, why the slower of the two speeds?

(I didn't have the post in front of me when I changed, so at the moment I'm on 802.11 a/n 450Mbs. This seemed initially to slow the PC down, compared to ac, but after 4 or 5 speeds tests in a row it registered over 70. Phone seemed just as quick as it was with AC, from the start.)

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

If you use 217mbps mode (20MHz bandwidth), you can experiment more easily with using different channel numbers to rule out interference from neighbours perhaps being the cause of your wifi slow down issues.

You could also configure your two 5 GHz access points to use say adjacent channels 44 and 48 without fear of interference from each other.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
chris1610
Grafter

On Saturday wifi appears to have slowed down again two weeks after last reboot. I think the solution (to have wifi that always works at speed it should) might be to reboot automatically at least once every two weeks. I don't have any better idea for how to do that than use a daily timer switch (that I have lying around) to cut the power for 15 minutes at say 4am, daily. I know it's a bad idea to regularly reboot ADSL routers, but as I have fttp, I assume regular rebooting won't cause a problem?

I believe BT used to schedule reboots of home hub routers once every two weeks, I wonder if there was a reason for that that would make it a good idea for Plusnet to do similar?

chris1610
Grafter

I meant to say that that was with the WiFi set to a/n up to 450 Mbs. That causes it to not overlap bands at all with the other access point in the house, which was still working at higher speeds when the hub one was slow. I doubt overlapping was the problem, and there continue to be no other 5Ghz band users 95% of the time. (Very occasionally I see one neighbour in the WiFi analyser app, at -90db or weaker.)

chris1610
Grafter

Fix

Just though I'd update this thread with the resolution. I have put a timer switch on the router and reboot it every morning at 3.50am. This would apparently be a bad thing to do if I had ADSL, as central equipment would think there was a fault on the line and slow it down, but as I have fttp, so my router connects via ethernet to an openreach modem that stays online through the reboot, I don't think that should be an issue. 

Since I put the timer on, I've never had a speed test that failed to register above 70Mbs. (I tend to stop the test as soon as I see speeds over 70, as I know I'm getting maximum speed.)