Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one security ssid not secure

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Hub one security ssid not secure

@bobpullen wrote:

Interesting. Is this iOS 14?
I was under the impression the Hub One uses AES rather than TKIP. It doesn't support WPA3 though.

I've just checked my Business Smarthub 6 wireless on a Win 10 laptop and that's reporting WPA2-Personal, which I understand is the same as WPA2-PSK. I would doubt that the Hub One is any more up to date.

I've checked the options and these are:

wireless.jpg

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

My Hub 1 says it is running both networks on WPA2. It doesn't say what type of WPA2, although my memory was of being able to choose AES but perhaps that was the previous router.

I may be looking in the wrong place, but I'm not seeing any complaint from my iPhone - on ios14 - about network security. The Hub is about a year old, software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 

Baldrick1

I have been trying to read up on this and it's far from clear, which has piqued my interest.

Reading between the lines I have come to the following conclusions. Please some-one put me right if this is wrong.

1. WPA used TKIP encryption.

2. AES has superceded TKIP as it is much more secure.

3. WPA2 is designed to use AES encryption by default but is backwards compatible with TKIP.

4. WPA2-Personal or WPA2-PSK on a modern device should be able to support a connection using either AES or TKIP encryption.

5. Whether a WPA-Personal router connects using AES or TKIP encryption depends on the capability of the connected wireless device.

Please some-one correct me if this is wrong.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@caney97 

I have just updated my iphone to IOS 14 and am getting no security warnings, be it that I use a BT rather than a Plusnet Hub.

Are you sure that it's not being caused by your phone settings. You can't by any chance set it to WPA encryption rather than WPA2?

What phone do you have?

Moderator and Customer

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Funnily enough I just put the 14.2 (Beta) on my iPhone. I think it was only released this morning.

I use Branson Media, and on my 5G connection, my iPhone says "Weak security".

When I click the 'i" button it says:

"WPA/WPA (TKIP) is not considered secure.

If this is your Wi-Fi network, configure the router to use the WPA (AES) or WPA3 security type".

Hope this helps. I don't know whether you can do that with a Hub One, I am not around at the house to check.

EDIT: It'll be your iPhone moaning about your router, not the other way around. If you're than concerned then check the router settings. Have I got in within the 15 minute edit limit? Here goes nothing.

caney97
Rising Star

Same message on iPhone and ipad. There are no settings to change what they are seeing as far as I can see.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You need to change that on the router, not any connected devices.

caney97
Rising Star

That was my initial point. The hub one has not got the settings that would be acceptable in Apples eyes. The original thought was do i need to change to a router with the correct security settings or just carry on with the hub one?

BrightonRock
Pro

@caney97 

I'm still not seeing the message on my iPhone..

Can I just check where you see the message, in case I'm looking in the wrong place. Is it Settings>wifi>tap on the network? It may be my figures, tapping on the name and on the (i) take me to the same place.

Are your phone & tablet recent models? How old is the Hub? What software version?

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

To 'see' the message, which I don't think you have @BrightonRock, go to Settings > WiFi. In there you'll see your connected WiFi with a tick on it and under the network name will be the message, if any. As I mentioned my phone's an iPhone 6 and my WAP is an Apple Airport.

Baldrick1

@caney97 

You're not by any chance connecting through a wifi extender of any sort? If so this would be the source of your problem, not the router.

Moderator and Customer

BrightonRock
Pro

@Mook 

Thank you. Indeed no message. It is a iPhone 11.

Ii will be interesting to see what @bobpullen can tell us about this..

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @caney97 

You can force your phone to connect to wpa2 by connecting to 5GHz only, to achieve this follow these steps to break the sync between the 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Advanced Settings > Wireless >5GHz tab >Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No >Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' -  add '-5' on the end >Save the changes

A warning 5Ghz wifi has poor range on a Hub One, if you down go the path to buy a new router make sure it has a built in modem and it supports mixed modes wpa2 and wpa3 maybe even wpa if you have some very old devices.

Hope this helps

Dan.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'm not seeing this on an iPhone 11 Pro Max, connected to the 5GHz network.

65b93a97-fa11-462f-8bd0-86765fd925e9.jpg

As per @Dan_the_Van's post - For those that are seeing the warning: it would be interesting to see which of the two radios your devices are connecting to? You can determine this by matching the LAN IP address on the iPhone Wi-Fi settings page  with one of the devices listed under the Wireless Connections area of the network map under 'Advanced Settings' in the router interface:-

net_map.JPG

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

moonson
Dabbler

Coming late to this discussion and it is puzzling me
(insifficiently technical, of course, but I like to think I can understand this stuff)
Have just bought a new IPhone running newest OS
I have the Technicolor TG582n modem (and a fibre +n deal)

IPhone is complaining that i'm insufficiently secure (no surprise, I've had this router for yonks, since I upgraded service)
If I understand people further up this thread I should just ignore it and change a setting so it stops complaining...
How often should +n replace a router anyway?