Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one on ADSL

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Hub one on ADSL

My Dad has a new laptop and when connecting it to my old BY Voyager router, a security message came up about an old, insecure wireless connection, to disconnect and find another. I connected anyway, but they want a new router now.

He is on a up to 8mb product with the Post Office, and pays £20pm for unlimited and any time calls, so doesn't want to change to a new provider as the cost is more. He just uses email and some basic browsing and banking.

Will the hub one work on a adsl connection or is it purely fttc, as mine is sat doing nothing while I use my own router?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Hub one on ADSL

Will the hub one work on a adsl connection

The Hub One will work on an ADSL connection BUT I'm not sure if it will allow the username/password for a Post Office connection? It's probably 'suck it and see'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I've seen elsewhere that adding a username for another provider should be possible, so now I know it is a adsl enabled router, I will take it over and try.

Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Marksfish 

It's worth a go but make sure that you change the user name and password to the Post Office ones before trying to connect to the DSL line. The easiest way is not to plug the DSL cable in until you have set the router up and it's trying to connect.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I shall set it up at home before taking it to my Dad's place, hopefully it will plug in and play Smiley

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

To feedback finally, I can confirm the Hub One will not work on a post Office connection. There is obviously a hard coded range of isp's that the router will accept as a message of "this connection is not allowed" or similar sort of message is displayed when trying to input the PO username Sad  It's a shame as the router is now potentially landfill at the end of my contract. There should be an obligation on isp's (as there is on mobile phones) to be able to unlock equipment which is given to end users as part of a deal.

Baldrick1

@Marksfish 

Are you saying that you cannot input the PO log in details even with the dsl cable disconnected?

Moderator and Customer

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Nope, only the power and network cables were connected to the router. My laptop was used to try to configure and rejected.

Baldrick1

@Marksfish 

Well what about this as a Plan B?

Configure the Hub One as a Wireless Access Point. See. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/td-p/138...   Turn off the insecure wireless on the existing router and using an Ethernet cable connect it to the Hub One, which can supply dual band WPA2 encryption.

Moderator and Customer

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Unfortunately they don't want an extra box, an all in one solution is wanted. Was just hoping this unused item could be used instead of buying one. Of course, they could re- contract and get a new one, but they are old timers and don't like change. Still on 8MB adsl with the fibre cabinet outside their door. Until the adsl is more expensive than their current connection, can't see it being changed as they don't use the internet very often and then, only really for email.

Baldrick1

Before spending money on a one box solution it might be prudent to make sure that it can used on a Post Office service. 

One thing about using the Hub One as a WAP is that it can be switched off when they've not using the Internet. Maybe that would satisfy them?

Moderator and Customer

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I would have thought that any off the shelf, non isp branded router would be able to accept connection details, whether they all support adsl is another question. My Father's wife doesn't like one box, so 2 boxes is definitely ut of the question.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@Marksfish 

It seems that the Post Office broadband is a rebrand of TalkTalk internet.

You might find an old TalkTalk router that someone has to try.

I am the satisfied customer....
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I've had a BT Voyager 210  router working on the connection for years, but it is old and tired, so I know a "normal adsl router should work. Was just trying to re- purpose the one I had.