Did you mean: 

Hub one makes high pitched noise?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Hub one makes high pitched noise?

@geekofbroadband wrote:

The noise is normal and happens on all hubs

It's certainly not normal, staff on here have requested some hubs showing this to be returned for investigation.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've had 2 Hub Ones (not related) & they both make that noise when dragging large amounts of data around on the 5G band. I just try to ignore it now although I wouldn't want to go to sleep with it in the same room whilst someone was using 5G on there Smiley

king2001

But why should we have to put up with noisy routers? No doubt it is down to cheap components and you "get what you pay for" but it's damned annoying listening to it buzz away!

As my attempts at getting a replacement have fallen on deaf ears (the best kind when you're sitting near the router) I'm going to have a look for an alternative.

Any suggestions? The Netgear D6400 looks quite good.
geekofbroadband
Grafter

To be honest the hardware itself is good. Better than an R6400 or even R7000 let down by software. It's also £130 but discounted and free for new customers.

I have probably had around 10 BT Home Hub 5's over the years (Type A and B's) all of them make a noise when you transfer data over wireless. I guess it's not "Normal" but its certainly not an issue or anything to worry about.

and @markhawkin I'm not sure what I was going on about yesterday, meant to say "coil" 

@king2001 I have seen some good things about the D6400, it has a broadcom chipset so it should be stable, just make sure you download the latest firmware for it and factory reset afterwards and then set it up with your Plusnet details.

king2001

I've no issue with performance so far but would like it to be quieter!

At £90 on Amazon I might take a chance on the D6400. Thanks for the advice geek!