joelmacdonald
Dabbler

Re: Hub one makes high pitched noise?

Good stuff!

I'll PM address and dates.

thepurseys
Grafter

New router installed still makes noise and still half speed?

Looking at the line settings my connection is set at half the quoted speeds, as I had issues with my asdl and PN where reluctant to investigate I suspect that the line is the issue with the speed.

If it helps I have my sky connected over wifi on 5kHz band
joelmacdonald
Dabbler

Same here for me. Router still makes that noise, so I'm assuming its normal.

Estimated line speed is 71-80.

Lucky if I get 45. Had BT openreach out and they fitted a new master socket and said there test shows a max speed of 55. Not sure how plusnet see a higher estimate. I'm not expecting 80, but 45 is a bit disappointing.

thepurseys
Grafter

Router collected by royal mail this morning.
No bag or sticker on collection or any information about what I needed to put on the box but guy assured that I would be sorted back at the depot so I hope you can track it at your end if it goes AWOL
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Cheap power supplies are prone to whining a lot.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

thepurseys
Grafter

I think that is an unlikely to cause the problem as the router is what makes the noise and only when downloads are taking place.
core2lee
Grafter

Yeah it's the VDSL modem (never noticed it on ADSL) which makes the high pitch noise with fast data transfers. If it is any consolation the BT Home Hub 5a I have also makes this same noise so it seems a lot like this is just a quirk of the XRX200 chip. 

thepurseys
Grafter

Oddly at my old property using a bt homehub 5 on a vdsl connection on plusnet I didn't have any noticeable noise or speed issues
Currently I'm getting 13up and 1.8 dn on average
Roughly lower than half what I was quoted?
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

I believe all the hubs make this noise only when using 5ghz wireless whilst transferring a lot of data, It don't make the noise on 2.4ghz though Crazy3

I just moved my router into a cupboard with my electrical items and i can't hear it anymore. The home hub 5a don't seem to make the noise, yet it's the same hardware IIRC?

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've started getting this today since I enabled 5G for a new tablet I got. I can only liken it to an intermittent electricity pylon in the damp/rain crackle. Is this something I need to worry about? Have only used the router in 2.4Ggz mode upto now & never got it with that.
king2001

Having the same problem with my hub one too although it is a buzzing noise more akin to a hard drive being accessed than the high pitched whine you get from faulty capacitors.

I was initially told via live chat a couple of weeks ago to disable 5GHz but, as I've a couple of devices that use that frequency, it wasn't an option. Was also advised to unsync with 2.4GHz but that made no difference. Trouble is the router is only about two feet from my ear so it's starting to get annoying!

Did another live chat today but was advised that if there is no effect on performance then they can't do much about it.

Maybe time to look at purchasing a decent vdsl modem/router...

xelap

Same issues on my hub one, can't put it anywhere other than the front room, kind of irritating Smiley

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

@xelap might be worth looking on ebay for a home hub 5 (type A or B) so much better and the annoying blue light isn't so bright on HH5!

I've switched, just for the fact my hub one wouldn't allow me to go over 7days without dropping speed, Had replacements sent out and still had same problem. HH5 (type B) can cope 17days fine.

Worth the extra £££

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
geekofbroadband
Grafter

The noise is normal and happens on all hubs, its the wireless transistors (Probably cheap ones) and only happens when you transfer large data over wireless.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

"wireless transistors" doesn't sound very likely. My guess is some sort of magnetostriction in a power supply related wound component.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetostriction

I am the satisfied customer....