Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one losing wifi connection

FIXED
tj
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Hub one losing wifi connection

Well @bobpullen, I had almost a month without issue... but then the 5GHz network has died on me once again this afternoon - I think in the last hour, though I was out for a while.

I'm not aware of having changed anything, so am at a bit of a loss now what it could be done to. Let's hope it's a one off!? Or maybe time to try replacing the router...

Did you have any success recreating my experience in your lab?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @tj 

Has the 5GHz frequency come back? 

Let's hope it's a one off!?

I truly hope so.

I can't answer for Bob about replicating errors this side, hopefully he see's this and replies soon. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

tj
Grafter

Thanks MoR. The 5GHz wasn't turned off; I'd just stopped my phone from using it in order to 'solve' the issue of that part of the network crashing when was casting TV from it. Now wondering whether it's that part of the network that's a little wonky though, rather than my phone... 😕

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This is just a thought, @tj - please tell me if i am way off the mark. 

As the 5GHz frequency has a smaller range than the 2.4 - there's no chance your devices was towards the end of the signal area when this happened? 

Thanks, 

MoR

tj
Grafter

I like your thinking, but no. My house isn't big and the router is at the centre of it. Coverage everywhere is great! I'm not sure what device has caused the outage this time anyway - I think only 3x smart speakers and a laptop were still configured to use the 5GHz network.

tj
Grafter

So I've had one complete router meltdown and a couple of further halts just of the 5GHz network since my last post, with the latest some time after 9pm this evening -- and once again, seemingly triggered by or during casting from phone to TV.

If you don't have any more clues or reports of others facing similar issues @bobpullen is it please time to try a new router?

Thanks, TJ.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi TJ,

I've arranged for another router to be dispatched to you - let's see if this resolves the issue whilst you're waiting for @bobpullen to respond to your other queries.

Best wishes

Dave

tj
Grafter

Thanks Dave!

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Welcome!

Let us know how you get on when the new router arrives.

Take care

Dave

tj
Grafter

Thanks @RandallFlagg for sorting out the new router, which has been doing very well... until this week. Wonder if you or @bobpullen can help shed any light on the current situation:

My phone (a Pixel 2) keeps losing connection, claiming to have an 'authentication problem'. According to the router Event Log, each time this happens, my phone is one of the devices logged a lot, as on one occasion, was a new Samsung Soundbar I've added to the mix. When a connectivity problem for my phone occurs, it tends to signify the start of some following issues for other devices or parts of the wifi...

I had wondered whether this was down to 'congestion' on particular frequencies, so ran the auto re-scan a couple of times - and this morning ended up manually selecting specific channels for the 2.4 and 5GHz networks. Still, almost as soon as I returned home at 14:54 this arvo, you start seeing a lot of entries in the router Event Log relating to my phone... and then set in the troubles for other devices on the wifi.

Currently, it seems no devices are using the 5GHz network, but I suspect that has come about after the Pixel issues and am left wondering if these have somehow 'knocked out' that part of the network, forcing other devices to connect instead to the 2.4GHz bit -- or if it's perhaps down to my manual selection of a high channel number for the 5GHz wifi.

Either way, I'm going to need to restart the router again to clear the issue. Beginning to wonder if my phone is the thing that's causing all the grief... have you seen anything else like this?

Thanks Smiley

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @tj,

I'm afraid I haven't heard of any issue in connecting a Pixel 2 and it introducing wireless connectivity issues. Are you able to confirm the firmware version of the new router that you received? It's likely to be on the latest one but we would like to be certain. 

From personal experience the high channels of 2.4GHz for example 12 and 13, these tended to cause me issues until I changed them back so I'd recommend nothing 11 or above. With regards to the 5GHz frequency bands 36, 40, 44 and 48 are least likely to experience interference. They are mainly for indoor domestic use.

When you are introducing a new device, trying forgetting the wireless network from it before reconnecting. This is so that the device doesn't have a memory of this particular wireless profile.

Hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
tj
Grafter

Thanks @Jubby, my Software version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 16/05/19.

Following your advice, I've re-evaluated available channels and switched to Ch 9 and Ch 48 and forgotten or deleted the previous network/device from each the device and router. This worked well at first, but then gave similar issues - my phone again reporting an 'authentication problem' and all devices which were connected to the 5GHz part of the network appearing to have moved themselves to the 2.4GHz wifi.

I don't understand why I should need to, but on the assumption the issues are down to the 5GHz wifi, I have this morning separated this from the 2.4GHz and, after being unable to connect my phone to the 5GHz wifi, not set any devices to use this part of the network.

Will see what today/tomorrow morning brings... Smiley

ShaneB
Hooked

Hi, thought I'd tack on the end of this post rather than start a new one, most of the problems people seem to be having is with the 5Ghz network, mine is more often with the 2.4 Ghz network where we have one phone and a laptop (Huawei Y7 and Lenovo) that experience multiple internet drop outs during the day, the devices tend to stay connected to the wifi but lose the internet connection, I experience a similar problem on the 5Ghz network (3 Amazon Echos, 2 Amazon Fire TV sticks, A Galaxy S8 and 2 iPhones) but I tend to notice this most on the S8 at the furthest distance in the house from the Router. Sometimes when the 2.4Ghz drops out the 5Ghz drops out soon after. I have a Plusnet Hub One with Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 which was last updated 22/03/19, I think we've had the router about a year. The wired connection to the YouView box has no problems at all so there doesn't appear to be a Fibre connection issue. I have tried turning the 5Ghz network off but the 2.4Ghz was still dropping out.

Any advice or tips on things to try would be appreciated as I've got a very stressed 16 year old giving me grief.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @ShaneB 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

I tend to notice this most on the S8 at the furthest distance in the house from the Router.

With the S8 being on the 5Ghz band,is it possible that it's moving outside of the signal area? it's also worth noting that along with the shorter distance, 5Ghz is less successful at penetrating walls & solid objects. 

The wired connection to the YouView box has no problems at all so there doesn't appear to be a Fibre connection issue.

That's good to know, at least we can isolate the issue to the WLAN. 

I have tried turning the 5Ghz network off but the 2.4Ghz was still dropping out.

Are both the frequencies running on their own SSID, and have you changed the Wireless channels on both of them? 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

G3WYP
Rising Star

I have an LG K4 and just this week I keep getting "Unable to connect to internet network" when I go into the settings and WiFi it says unable to authenticate due to a poor signal or something similar when I click on connect it does so but then maybe a couple of hours later it does the same again.

My wife's iPad loses connection regularly.

Any ideas please?

Derek