Did you mean: 

Hub one losing wifi connection

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub one losing wifi connection

@fairb, user preference really so it's fine if you want to leave things split.

Edit: Harry beat me to it Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

shaunfriend
Dabbler

I've just found this post following a call to plusnet with exactly this problem. Is someone at Plusnet able to push the latest firmware to my router? I'm pretty certain this started happening when I added an Amazon Echo to my network last year.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for getting in touch @shaunfriend

@bobpullen - can you assist with this one, please?

Best wishes

Dave

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@shaunfriend, your firmware was updated early hours of this morning.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@tj things seem quiet, has there been any change to your situation recently?

Assuming the problem is still evident then there are a couple of options for us...

1. I downgrade your device to the firmware version that was running prior to October last year and we see what happens. Note that this will wipe the device back to factory defaults so you'd need to reconfigure any settings you've switched away from their default values.

2. On the off-chance it's a hardware issue, we can try sending you a replacement device.

Let me know if you think it's worth us exploring either of these options.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

tj
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Thanks for following up @bobpullen. I was away from home for a few days, but you're not wrong - things have been better... and I think I might have worked out what combination of things was causing the blip.

Since our last messages, I noticed that every time the 5GHz wifi failed, I was watching TV via my Chromecast, controlled by my mobile phone. It didn't happen every time, but either it was only happening in the evenings or perhaps when watching programmes longer than 45mins.

My Chromecast will only pick up 2.4GHz wifi, but my phone was on the 5GHz. For the moment, I've switched my phone to the 2.4GHz wifi and not had any problems for a few days now.

This is certainly a development since the previous firmware version, as then problems occurred in all sorts of different situations. So perhaps this will be a good enough workaround and things will continue to be stable... I hope!

You mentioned before that you were checking whether logs from my device showing kernel errors were reflective of a hardware failure - and that you were seeking a second opinion; did that turn up anything, either way? If a combination of this latest firmware, combined with a replacement router could mean a return to full functionality, I'd certainly be interested for the future. But happy to continue with what I have now, at least for as long as it keeps going Smiley

Thanks again, Tim.

T3chn0h1ppy
Hooked

Just following up on a previous message I sent that went unanswered. My router has been upgraded but I'm still getting connection issues, primarily with my phone. How do I split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands so I can choose which one my phone connects to. I don't need massive speed on my phone, just a consistent connection

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi there,

You can find instructions on how to split the bands out here.

Best wishes

Dave

T3chn0h1ppy
Hooked

Ah great thanks, I'll give that a go

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@tj thanks for the update. Logs didn't return anything conclusive I'm afraid.

Can I ask what smartphone you have? If there's a chance we can replicate your problem in lab conditions then there's a much greater chance of us establishing the cause.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

tj
Grafter

Thanks @bobpullen, of course. I'd be really interested to hear if you can replicate it!

My phone is a 64GB Google Pixel 2, bought direct from them. It's running Android 9, security patch 5 Feb 2019, build PQ2A.190205.002 - and the Chromecast is a first generation one.

I think, but am not sure, that the specific problem encountered might always have been when casting from BBC iPlayer, which was last updated on 13 Feb 2019 to v4.60.0.1

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, what firmware is running on the Chromecast? You can find out by looking in the Google Home app:

Screenshot_20190306-171732.png

One other question. What do you have plugged into the second LAN port? A switch? Powerline adapter?

PS. The March security update is now available for the Pixel Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

tj
Grafter

My cast is the same fw as your one: 1.32.144770 Smiley

Lan2 connects to a Lacie Wireless Space, which is running in NAS+Switch mode and connects on to Sky and NowTV boxes.

Sadly the March update for Pixel isn't showing as available to me yet, but thanks for the heads up!

CaitlanWalton

I am struggling with the same issue with my Hub one and need help getting it to connect to the internet again. Could you help me @bobpullen ?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@CaitlanWalton, what problems are you having exactly? Do you know what firmware version your router is running?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team