Re: Hub one losing wifi connection

Thanks @bobpullen

It's now at 4.7.5.1.83.8.259

Thanks for the super-quick response.

tj
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Hi @bobpullen, I'm afraid it's happened again -- and almost exactly 24 hours after the last time! This evening, just 4 of the 5 devices which should be using the 5GHz wifi have lost connection... only difference I can think for the 5th one, is that it wasn't online when the others went off.

Anyway, looking at the log today, still nothing I recognise as a cause, but symptoms appear to start at 20:13 today. May not be related, but I did also notice some buffering issues whilst streaming/casting BBC iPlayer twice this evening.

Last night I tried turning the 5GHz wifi off and back on again, as well as auto-reselecting wifi channels, but eventually had to press reset on the router. Tonight, seeing as I still have 1 working device on the 5GHz, I'm going to try rebooting the other 4 individual devices set to use this band, to see if they'll reconnect without needing to reboot the router.

Meanwhile, if there are some specific other details you'd like, please let me know. Thanks, as ever, for your help.

fairb
Grafter

I've read through some of this thread trying to understand whether I'm experiencing the same sort of problem and if there is a fix for it. I switched from Sky mid January and ever since then my Plusnet router (firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259) has been dropping wifi connectivity about once every couple of days. Best is up for 6 days, worst is down 3 times in a day. I've been able to reset it either by the switch on top or ( I think I did it once) by plugging a cable into it. I got in touch with support today and they have told me to split off the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi networks which I intend to do tomorrow. My old Sky router only supported 2.4 GHz but I never had any problems with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm getting old so that may be the problem but I didn't seem to be able to post without doing a reply to a post?

simonaway

Sorry to jump on this thread but I too am experiencing these issues. And yes, I have 3 Amazon devices on my network. A Kindle Fire, Paperwhite, and Fire Stick. What can I do to get the new firmware update? Thanks!

And I've just checked my version and it's Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259

tj
Grafter

Aaaaaand we're at it again. Tonight's failure, (as ever just of the 5GHz wifi), seems to have begun at 21:33 -- held it together for just very slightly over 24 hours this time. If this is going to be something to have to live with, is there maybe some way to set the router to reboot itself at, say, 3am every morning?

I'm still thoroughly unqualified to try and find causes or reasons, but would very much appreciate any help @bobpullen or the team can offer.

Thanks in advance.

tj
Grafter

Still. Failing. Every. Day.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this.

I've flagged this to the relevant people to see what we can do

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@simonaway & @fairb, I've upgraded both of your devices to the latest software build.

@tj, so to clarify, your problems are similar to those you were suffering prior to the latest firmware upgrade, but after the update that was pushed to you in October last year?

Can you provide the approximate times/dates of the last couple of failures?

Can you also confirm what devices you have connected to the local network?

I've extracted some logs from your device that show kernel errors that I think might be reflective of a hardware failure, but I'm going to seek a second opinion. The other option we have is a downgrade back to the pre-October build, however doing so will reset any changes you've made to the default settings like the split SSID etc.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

simonaway

Thanks @bobpullen!

tj
Grafter

Thanks @bobpullen, very much appreciate your help with this.

Yes, current problems are similar to those from after the October 2018 firmware update. Back then, I tried splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi, which at least meant that some devices would stay online whenever a problem occurred. I successfully operated without the 2.4GHz wifi for a while; now though, the problems seem to be with the 5GHz wifi only.

When the problem presents itself, devices appear to stay connected to the 5GHz wifi, but lose the ability to talk to the internet - or to each other. Any devices connected by cable, or to the 2.4GHz wifi, remain online without issue. But, for example, my Pixel phone (connected to 5GHz) can no longer control what Chromecast (on 2.4GHz) is showing on the TV.

Most recent failure appears (to me) to have started at 20:17:41 on 14 Feb.

Before that, 21:33 on 12 Feb, 20:13 on 11 Feb, 19:41 on 10 Feb.

I attach screenshots of connected devices - both DHCP table and network schematic. I've made sure that all the devices I regularly use were online for these. Any other devices belong to visitors or are used very infrequently - and haven't been at all recently.

I hope this gives you enough to go on, but if there's anything more you'd like, or something you'd like me to try, just let me know. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was some kind of hardware failure, but have no idea how to work out whether that's the router, or one of the devices connecting to it perhaps causing the issue?

Thanks again.

fairb
Grafter

Bob, thanks very much for that. I see that the router firmware has gone from minor revision 259 to 263.

The router had actually been running for 3+ days without problems after I separated out the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi as advised by support. I was glad to see that the reason it had restarted was because of your upgrade to it. Smiley

T3chn0h1ppy
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

I'm still getting connection issues, primarily on my phone. What info do you need to help diagnose the issue?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@tj, thanks for the additional info. Will let you know if the logs uncover anything.

@fairb, might be time to try merging the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels again?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

fairb
Grafter

Hi Bob, is there a disadvantage to leaving them separate? Seems to work better that way as I now have move 5 GHz capable devices using that network. I've kept the password the same fro both wifi networks, just changed the SSIDs. Also, the family may revolt if I spend another 2 hours changing everything over to a new SSID. I have a lot of smart home devices.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Generally speaking, the 2.4Ghz will be slower but more stable over distance whereas 5Ghz will be quicker over shorter distances.

Personally I have the frequencies split off and in practice I don't notice a difference in every day use.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet