Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one losing wifi connection

FIXED
Sun_Zoom_Spark
Dabbler

Hub one losing wifi connection

Hello,

About the end of August our router rebooted itself after what I think was think it was a firmware update.  Shortly after that the wifi would drop out completely and become undetectable,  it would only come back when we rebooted the router.  Initally this would happen about once a week but progressively got worse, to the point when we were rebooting it 3 - 4 times day. It would also occasionally reboot itself. I tried  changing channels, separating 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz I checked for my neighbour's wifi signals and nothing is interfering with ours.  It tried my old DLink thing for a few days and that was fine.

I ended up phoning support who were really helpful and send me out a new router and also got me a cheaper deal. Unfortunately this new one has exactly the same problem.  It has the same firmware as my old one.  On Saturday the problem got so bad that the wifi was unusable as the signal kept vanishing every ten minutes.

What I ended up doing was connecting to the router via an ethernet cable and switching off the 5Ghz completely.  This seems to have solved the problem, almost 2 days and the wifi has not dropped out.  Although I have just checked and it looks like it rebooted itself about about 6am this morning.

I recon the firmware has be causing problems. It's a bit annoying having to switch the 5Ghz off, I've had the Hub one for a couple of years now and had no problems at all until recently.

Has anyone else similar issues?

121 REPLIES 121
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Hub one losing wifi connection

Hi @Sun_Zoom_Spark,

Would it be possible to obtain the firmware number from the hardware? A screenshot maybe?

We can have a word with someone in products to see if there's any known issues.

Sun_Zoom_Spark
Dabbler

Hi Jolo,

The firmware is 4.7.5.1.83.8.259

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us with that information.

That's the latest firmware which is a positive at least.

Can you confirm all the devices you have connected to your router over wireless?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tj
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Yes! Have experienced some very similar issues, though mine seem to have started around a month ago. After trying Chat and Phone support for help with a router problem, but only seeming to get help with checking the line and service itself, I ended up turning off the 2.4GHz wifi - which meant I couldn't use three devices: a printer, an iPod and a Chromecast. 

While it was off, everything was okay - but I eventually had to switch it back on, as I just couldn't cope without the other devices any longer. Within 24 hours, the same issues were back. For the record, my Software version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1 Last updated 11/10/18.

Following all that, I have separated my 2.4 and 5GHz networks and for the last week or so, not had any further problem.

I've had quite a lot of odd looking entries in my router Event Log... no clue really what they mean. The only other odd thing I noticed was that my Google Home Mini speakers were showing up as wifi networks in their own right, at one point when the PlusNet router was having one of it's wobbles.

I saw that @bobpullen had been helping some others with similar or related issues on here... hoping I'm okay for the moment, but maybe he can help you?

All the best, TJ.

Sun_Zoom_Spark
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,

There are currently 4 devices connected to 2.4:

Kindle Fire (normally connected to 5)

Iphone (normally connected to 5)

TV

Radio

Maybe about 3 or 4 times a week my laptop might also be connected for a few hours each time, also normally connected to 5ghz

Sun_Zoom_Spark
Dabbler

Hi TJ,

How did you go about checking your router log. I tried doing that earlier but couldn't find where to do it.

Thanks.

Sun_Zoom_Spark
Dabbler

Found the event log. Couldn't see it for being right in front of me.

Sun_Zoom_Spark
Dabbler

I just tried using 5Ghz again, separated from 2.4ghz.

5ghz is now completely unusable. I couldn't even connect to the router.

5ghz now switched off again.

tj
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Oh dear Sad Sorry it didn't work for you.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

@Sun_Zoom_Spark, I suspect you're affected by a problem we've identified recently that can be triggered by the presence of certain Kindle tablets on your network. See here for detail.

I have applied a pre-release firmware update to your router that I'm hoping fixes this issue. Can you please keep an eye on things and let me know if it's helped?

Thanks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Sun_Zoom_Spark
Dabbler

@bobpullen. Thanks, I can see it's has now changed to 4.7.5.1.83.8.262. 

I'll put the wifi settings back to its default when I get home from work and I'll let you know if this sorts the problem out.

Sun_Zoom_Spark
Dabbler

@bobpullen. Just an update.  I tried the new setting out last night.  I set the wifi back to its default settings, it worked fine for a couple of hours then the internet connection just dropped on both 2.4 and 5, I couldn't even get on to the router through its IP address even though my devices were still connected to the wifi. I couldn't be bothered messing about with the setting as we were trying to watch a film, so I just switched 5ghz off again and everything started working fine with only 2.4ghz.

I have noticed a lot of this sort of thing on all 5ghz devices (my laptop, an iphone and my Fire HDX 7):

5:38:12, 15 Nov. ath10: STA xxxxxxxxxxxx IEEE 802.11: Client associated
05:38:12, 15 Nov. ath10: STA xxxxxxxxxxxx IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
05:34:16, 15 Nov. ath00: STAxxxxxxxxxxxx EEE 802.11: Client disassociated
05:34:16, 15 Nov. ath00: STA xxxxxxxxxxxx  IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed

This morning before heading to work I separated both networks and renamed the 5ghz connection.

I'll see how things go.  I'm not wanting to have to go out and but a new router but I'm starting to consider it.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Sun_Zoom_Spark, I know it's inconvenient but I'd appreciate you running things in default mode for as long as possible i.e. both radios enabled and sharing the same SSID.

I could reliably replicate the problem on the current firmware build, but as yet have been unable to do  so on the pre-release version Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Sun_Zoom_Spark
Dabbler

@bobpullen.  Ok, I have set it back to the default settings.