Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one how to set up another router as an access point

msjhes2
Hooked

Hub one how to set up another router as an access point

Hi,

Apologies my terminology maybe wrong.  I have just got fibre and new hub one.  While my broadband speed is great when next to the router the wifi is attrocius compared to my old TP Link N600.   My TP link is not a fibre modem so I can not use by itself but was hoping I could connected to the hub one via Ethernet and then use the TP link to provide wireless.  However I am failing to figure out how to do this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

regards

mark

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Hub one how to set up another router as an access point

you should be able to do that - you'll need to switch dhcp off in the tp link.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tstaddon
Rising Star

Hi

I'm going to have this same issue in my new house (I move in next month), but have had plenty of practice with bridging in the past.

I'll be trying out the new Hub One as the VDSL modem with some 500mbit Homeplugs providing a link to a gigabit switch in the front room (I'll use wireless bridging if that isn't reliable).So in effect the multimedia setup will be wired end to end.

My trusty td-w8980 will be set up on a different SSID initially so I can use some tools to compare the wifi output of the PN box and the TP-Link from different parts of the property. The new house, like the old one, is an Edwardian town house - my experience is that all routers with the aerials enclosed have difficulties bouncing the signal round.

ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

A few simple steps required to achieve this.

1) Chage HUB1 DHCP range to something like 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.200

2) Change TPlink IP addy to something outside the above range (192.168.1.250)

3)Turn off DHCP on tplink

4) Connect HUB1 LAN to TPlink LAN

Ian

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@msjhes2 I had a setup working like this for a while but my approach was a little different to that suggested by @ian007jen

I made the second router (in your case the TP link) have a different DHCP range to the Hub One.

The Hub One was 192.168.1.64 - 253 (or similar - as default)

The second router was 192.168.0.2 - 254

The WAN (LAN/WAN in your case) port of the second router plugged in to a LAN port on the Hub One and everything worked fine. 

You will have to configure the N600 to see the LAN/WAN as WAN for this to work.

I am the satisfied customer....
tstaddon
Rising Star

Hi

I reset the N600 to factory and that got me the option to use it in wired bridge mode with DHCP relay so the Hub One is providing all IP addresses. The bridge is created via 500mbps homeplugs.

I have another two homeplugs creating a second bridge to a switch, so on the Hub One we can on the device map, all devices with the TPLink clients (wired and wireless) listed below LAN 1, and the clients on the switch show up as LAN 2. Very neat!

As expected, the wifi on the Hub One is great with wireless clients that have LOS, but the signal doesn't stretch very far.