cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one - dropping connection too frequently

Erfan

Hub one - dropping connection too frequently

Hi there, 

I recently moved over to Plusnet and was hoping for big things, but have been plagued by dodgy connection. 

I was previously with Sky and had very rare problems of the connection cutting out. Since moving over to the fibre package with Plusnet, my internet has been so temperamental. The connection drops very frequently and this is most obvious when using Whatsapp, Skype and Zoom, which I guess require good, fast, stable connection. Nearly all calls using these methods have resulted in at least one cutting off. During video calls, it appears as if the connection on my side has gone, but on the other side, they can often still hear audio before it either reconnects or drops out completely. Streaming is also problematic at times. 

I have called multiple times to get help and any advice has been to change the channel. I have used channels, 1 6, 11, 9 and 10 and nothing has helped. I've also connected my filter directly into the unseparated connection (proper name?) by taking the openreach faceplate off. Nothing has worked. 

I've been doing a bit of research and am seeing a little about 2.4 and 5GHz and seeing that either one of these is perhaps an issue: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395... (although devices with issues are both android). 

Have also seen that its the Hub one router itself which is perhaps the problem: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-losing-internet-connection-on-5Ghz-WiFi-only/td-p/16... (see tonyb55 on 07-10-2019 7:43 PM)

I am at the stage where I just don't know what to do. My wife is so mad she just wants me to cancel (tomorrow!) and incur the £150 early termination penalty (2 weeks in to the contract). But perhaps there is an easy solve from someone more knowledgeable than myself and the technical support crew? 

Another suggestion has been to get a wifi extended to boost the signal and prevent the connection from dropping. 

Please help!

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Hub one - dropping connection too frequently

@Erfan 

Welcome to the forum.

Is this only a wireless problem or are you also dropping Ethernet connections? If so are the lights changing on your router.

If it's just wireless then have you tried separating the wireless bands see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 ?

Try each band in turn and use the best.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Erfan

Thanks @Baldrick1!

I haven't yet figured if its also an ethernet problem, so far I have only been using the internet wirelessly, but will be checking this tonight/tomorrow. I haven't been monitoring the lights constantly, but it appears to be staying blue. 

Yes, since writing the post, I moved all the devices over to the 5GHz band and haven't experienced any loss of connection so will be keeping an eye on this over the next few days. Will try using the 2.4 GHz band if problems arise, but I am hoping the 5Ghz band will do the trick. 

Why would the connection be cutting out with the 2.4GHz band selected and the bands syncing - just due to interference from competing signals? 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Erfan 

This problem is device specific. One theory is that if these devices simultaneously receive data on the two bands they get confused and flip flop between the two. I have come across devices that worked perfectly on both bands in isolation but refused to connect when the two bands were synched.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Erfan

Good to know, thanks. Have had no problems with devices on the single band so far. Are there any downsides to having the connection on a single band as opposed to syncing the two - just that coverage with 5GHz alone isn't as good? Is it worth looking at getting a different router where the 2 bands can sync without problems? 

aswin

I am having similar problems. Tried splitting 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz as well as changing channels, but to no avail.

I've observed that incoming WhatsApp calls causes connection to drop on all devices for about a minute and then reconnect. However, the reconnect only happens to devices connect to 2.4 GHz but not on devices connected to 5 GHz. The 5 GHz is no longer usable until a router reset is done. The drop & reconnect also happens when the WhatsApp call ends. 

On the Event log, I can see when the WhatsApp call is answered, a Port forwarding rule is added via UPnP followed by all devices disconnecting, connecting back and renewing lease. The same is happens on the ending the WhatsApp call, the Port forwarding rule is deleted followed by all devices disconnecting, connecting back and renewing lease.

Any suggestions on how this can be resolved?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@aswin and @Erfan I have just pushed a firmware update to both of your devices that may help. You'll need to power off/back on for the changes to be applied.

@aswin fairly confident it will help your case. @Erfan not 100% sure with you, as the update is intended to resolve an issue with the 5GHz radio that you seem to be having success with.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

aswin

hi @bobpullen, Thanks for the update.

After the Hub restart, I am still seeing the same firmware details as before. See below. Has this not been applied? 

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 09/07/19

Regards,

Aswin