Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub one and it’s uses.

OshB5
Grafter

Hub one and it’s uses.

Hi All

Has you might have seen from the forums Iv been using a DSL-N55U alongside of a BT modem. And it had worked great for many years and now after a few days it's back to working again. But whilst it was down I ordered a Hub One in case I could not get mine working again.

So here is a few questions about the a Hub One please?.o

1/. Is it meant to replace both the router and modem?
2/. The WAN port on the Hub One. Could I plug my DSL-N55U into that port so It could be used like a repeater? 
      ( I ask this because my router is upstairs and around 4-5meters away from my modem at the moment and I'd                 .       need a gigabit switch if not as I'm using all the lan ports on the router now)

3/ How good is it with regards of download speed, drop outs and general operation please? 
4/ Has anyone got any tips or tricks good or bad for the unit ?.

If I think of anything else I will get back to you

Many thanks Osh

Tags (4)
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hub one and it’s uses.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@OshB5 

The Hub One replaces both the modem and N55U. The N55U has more setting options than the Hub One and the firmware is much more stable.  My advice is to try both and use the best for you.

You can set the N55U up as a Wireless Access Point [-Censored-] Ethernet switch by adjusting the settings. As you are currently using it with a separate modem it's probably best if you start with a factory reset. You then need to log into the settings ans switch off DCHP. If you would like a screen shot let me know and I will post one tomorrow. 

To connect it to the router you connect an Ethernet cable between any of the LAN sockets at both devices, not the Hub WAN socket.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OshB5
Grafter

Hi Baldrick1

You know when you say use it as a WiFi AP  could i hard wire it to the Hub one then also use the lan ports like a gigabit switch? as well as using it as a WiFi AP?

regs Andy 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@OshB5 

Yes, you Ethernet cable the two devices together using one of the LAN ports on each device. Be sure to factory reset the N55u before switching the DCHP to make it work as an AP. This will give you three unused Ethernet ports on each device.

The reason for the factory reset is because you previously used it with a modem, you will therefore have lost the use of the LAN port as this has been converted to WAN.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OshB5
Grafter

Hi Again

Iv not changed anything as yet since i got the N55u up working again  And the hub one is still boxed. I just wanted to let the new speed increace settle down..  However befor when i was on unlimited fibra i used to get 35--36Mbps and now im on the unlimited fibra extra im getting 48-49Mbps which i thought was a bit slow  seeing as before I was nearly at full speed only 3% down and yet now im approx 26% down.  Does this sound righjt or is there anything i can try and dothe website it says 

• Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 40.2Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 72.2Mbps

So not sure what thay mean apart from the Minimum Guaranteed Speed that is?

So shall i try the new hub one and replace the modem and router or can anyone can make a suggestion or should I just give  Tech support a call?

Thank you again..  

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Osh85

Your line is in sync at 74mb/s.

Could you please let us know how you get on with a wired speed test from the Hub One whilst connected to the test socket of your premises?

Thanks

Dave