Did you mean: 

Hub (mis)reporting usage

RobChafer
Dabbler

Hub (mis)reporting usage

Casually looking at the setting on my fibre Plusnet hub I noticed this:

Internet Connection Configuration

Data Transmitted/Received: 35.0 GB / 597.8 GB

What? 600GB in 15 days! Worried I had been hacked I checked my account and I have used about 110GB in the past month -- a much more reasonable figure. Does the router just misreport this figure?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hub (mis)reporting usage

@RobChafer - The router is more than likely right as the stats on your Plusnet account exclude a lot of data and cannot be relied upon as a source of information.

Edit: In the 17 days my router's been online I've used a total of 10.4GB and 474GB so they're not that far apart.

RobChafer
Dabbler

If I look at the individual machines they give transfer numbers that are no where near that huge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough @RobChafer, I assume you are using a Plusnet provided router, which I'm not, so maybe those that do can give you an insight as to what is happening. So with that said maybe you could provide the model details for others to comment.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I've checked your usage on your connection from this side and I've attached a graph below:

As far as I'm aware this is more accurate than View My Broadband Usage(VMBU).

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobChafer
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf for the stats. Do you have anything to say about the Plusnet router saying the data transfer is 600GB downloaded in the last 15 days (about 6 times what your graph shows)?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @RobChafer,

It's difficult to determine what exactly has caused the data usage in the router to be inaccurate, though a search on the forum indicates that we have had a few reports of this over the years. @bobpullen may be able to shed some more light on this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team