Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub Zero Router

FIXED
trymyluck
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hub Zero Router

I am aware that this subject has arisen before but I would be grateful for clarification on one point. 

My daughter has  Plusnet ADSL Broadband.  I think the router is referred to as Hub Zero to distinguish it from the Hub One router used for Plusnet's FTTC service which I have.   My daughter complains that the WPS light on her Hub zero constantly flashes. I understand that the WPS light will flash when the hub is making contact with a PC, Smartphone or other wireless device.  However, I assume that the flashing should cease in short time as soon as contact is made and then the light presumably stays on.  I would be obliged if someone could clarify for me how the WPS light should operate and tell me if prolonged flashing is the norm.  I  also understand that there is a WPS button or switch on the hub but presumably if this is turned off wireless connection would be disconnected.   

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Hub Zero Router

@trymyluck The WPS light should only be flashing if you are connecting, say, a wireless printer, or other similar piece of equipment, which will explicitly ask you to initiate the WPS function - certainly not a phone or tablet, which will only connect to a wireless point after you select the correct one on that particular unit, and will ask for the wireless key (password) to verify that you are connecting to the correct circuit.

Once the printer has successfully joined the network, the light will cease flashing and after a short while as a solid light will go out.

Is your daughter confusing the WPS light - which should normally be OFF, with the wireless light, which will constantly flash while ever there is traffic from a wireless device to the router?

The WPS button is only pressed as needed when setting up the printer (or W.H.Y.) whose instructions have asked you to press it, although I think the function can be turned off entirely.

John
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

You only press the WPS button when needing to sync a new device; once it's mated with new item (which may present a screen you have to "OK"), WPS LED on router should go off. Operating the button won't turn WIFI off.

trymyluck
Rising Star

Thanks for your reply jab 1.  My daughter assures me it is the WPS light which is flashing.  She lives a couple of hundred miles from me so it may be sometime before I can get to see her.  I asked her to switch off her printer, Laptop and Mobile phone to see if WPS was still flashing.  It was.   I am therefore at a loss to know what to do next.  Perhaps I should give Plusnet a ring to see what they suggest.

jab1
Legend

Fix

@trymyluck Ask your daughter to try turning off the router for a couple of minutes, and unplug it - a couple of hours after sunrise, to avoid night-time radio interference, and then re-trying - it may have got confused. Smiley

John
trymyluck
Rising Star

Many thanks John.  Switching off and unplugging for a couple of minutes has done the trick.  

jab1
Legend

Always worth a try, @trymyluck  - never written in the instruction manuals, but it works 98% of the time when more complicated attempts fail.😃

John