cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - wifi on/off switch?

garywood84
Rising Star

Hub One - wifi on/off switch?

I'm considering switching to the Hub One, instead of my current Openreach modem and Netgear WNR1000 which was supplied when I switched to Fibre. My main reason to switch is to upgrade to ac wifi (the WNR1000 is n only), and to reduce the number of devices I have by not requiring a separate modem.

Does the Hub One have a physical wifi on/off switch to turn the wifi off when it's not in use? My current WNR1000 does, and its a feature that I'd prefer not to lose. 

12 REPLIES 12
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Hub One - wifi on/off switch?

No, the Hub One does not have a physical wifi on/off switch.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
garywood84
Rising Star

Ah, that's a pity. I don't want to leave my wifi on all the time. 

Looking at other options, I've come across the Asus DSL-AC68U and the Netgear Nighthawk X4S 7800. Does anyone have any experience of using those devices instead of having an Openreach modem? Both of them have physical switches to turn wifi on and off.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I use the Asus DSL-AC68U and, provided it's set up correctly, it works absolutely fine on Plusnet ADSL and VDSL. There are several posts (including mine) on this Forum showing recommended settings.

garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks, @NorthPole - I'll look further at the DSL-AC68U.

It's a pity that the One Hub doesn't have a hardware switch to disable the wifi, because in every other respect, I think it would meet my needs.

Tobias1
Dabbler

Glad I found this thread, as I'm in the same boat & want to turn off WiFi. Quick question... both of these routers are over £100 on amazon UK.

Can anyone recommend a router (with a WiFi off switch) for under £50?
... I recall having this feature on a router supplied by Virgin a few years ago, but can't remember the model.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

It's not exactly hard to log onto the router and switch WiFi on or off from there.

Tobias1
Dabbler

What is the best way to do this without screwing everything up... is it by going to "http://192.168.1.254/" in a browser, then going to...

Advanced Settings > Wireless 

Then "Wireless network enable" select "No" ?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Yes, its that simple.

garywood84
Rising Star

It's really not that simple!

I mean, turning it off by logging in is simple, but only if you have computer connected to the router with an ethernet cable, and if everyone who is going to want to use the wifi has access to that computer. 

But even then, it's still a pain to have to log in to a wired computer, access the router's control panel, and turn wifi on every time you want to use it.

A physical switch on the router is much more convenient and practical for all the household to be able to turn it on and off as required.

maulz
Grafter

probably a silly question but why do you need to turn just the wifi off and on?

could you not achieve the same result  turning the router power off when you desired ?

there is obviously a reason i am unaware of and i'm just being curious as i leave my wifi on all the time and i have 3 wifi access points (2 old routers set as switches with ethernet cables) and wondering why thats bad?

Tobias1
Dabbler

Hi, I have come across various different researchers who claim that WiFi is very bad for the human body. 

I have listened to a few interviews featuring Barrie Trower, who worked as a "microwave weapons technology researcher" for the Royal Navy. He says that WiFi has been developed from this type of technology and is slowly cooking us. 

He claims that over 70 years of continual exposure to a Mother and Daughter, well over 50% of births will miscarriage. 
And that Nixon was bombarded by this technology when he visited the US embassy in Moscow in the 70s, by the Soviets, and it caused him to feel very depressed, and also a lot of the women working in the embassy ended up having miscarriages. 

This is just one video where he doesn't think much of someone suggesting that WiFi should be installed in a school !!!(watch from counter number 6:20):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99_SzoXZdY

I can't verify if any of this is real, but he hasn't been debunked - not as far as I'm aware anyway, so I err on the side of caution. 

As for my home set-up, I am the sole user and I keep WiFi turned off permanently. I only use ethernet cable connection.
The trouble is, we are getting affected by other people's WiFi anyway. 

Anyway... a bit grim, but that's why I try to avoid WiFi, until some positive data comes out about this subject. 

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@Tobias1 - I sincerely hope you never put a mobile phone to your ear then.