cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - weird wifi issue

Nacho
Grafter

Hub One - weird wifi issue

I've had fibre about a month now and occasionally do a speed check on my mobile phone. It had always been around 70Mbps which is great as I'm on the unlimited fibre extra contract. Mobile phone connects to the 5GHz wifi network.

Problem is for the past few days it's been returning a wifi connection on my phone of about 40Mbps. I've done a little fault finding and whether it's co-incidence or not what I have noticed is the Plusnet Hub Manager can be a bit iffy in that it doesn't always show my phone as connected on the 'My Home Network'. When it DOES show my phone, I get the 70Mbps result when I do a speed test however when it DOESN'T show my phone (even though my phone is connected), I only get around 40Mbps when I do the speed test.  If I watch the hub manager page, then disconnect my phones wifi then reconnect, then refresh the page the hub manager will show it, and I'll get 70Mbps again, but then when I close the home manager down then go back into it later on, it will no longer show the phone as connected, and if I do a speed test it will show 40Mbps.

The wifi channel isn't changing at all throughout this so I can't think that is to blame. Basically my mobile phone is always connected to the wifi but it doesn't always show in hub manager and when it doesn't, my speeds drop. 

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Hub One - weird wifi issue

The Plusnet hub comes with the 2.4 abd 5 GHz bands synchronised. What's possibly happening is that your phone is flip flopping between the two. Try separating the bands. See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Do a search for available wireless networks and you will now see both of them. Use the band that gives you the best results.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Nacho
Grafter

Thing is, in the hub manager, the phone either shows as connected to 5GHz or nothing. It never shows as connected to the 2.4GHz. 

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Nacho,

In terms of your speeds changing, It almost definitely sounds like your phone is jumping between the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz frequencies as @Baldrick1 suggested above.

However, it's a known issue with the router not always displaying the devices connected at times and there's a fix currently in the works: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Software-version-4-7-5-1-83-8-237-2-2-No-devices-showing-on-...

Hope this helps.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Nacho
Grafter

Ok cheers guys I've split the wifi networks now so will see how I get on.

Prior to the split, once connected I presumed it would just stay on whatever frequency it found upon me entering the house after work, but are you saying once connected it could have been switching between 2.4 and 5 whilst connected?

Baldrick1

Yes, it can really screw up some devices and cause havoc with wireless speed. If you separate the bands then it will stick on the first one it picks up unless reception is bad enough for the phone to drop it and search for a stronger signal.

Moderator and Customer

Nacho
Grafter

I've removed the 2.4 connection from my phone so it now points to the 5ghz one only. Would you also keep the credentials for the 2.4ghz one in the phone ? I presumed setting it to the 5ghz one only would be the way to go. Saves any switching!

Baldrick1

If it works well on 5GHz then stick with it, providing you are within range it will give the faster speeds.

Moderator and Customer