cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One router hissing

Bhav

Hub One router hissing

My brand new Plusnet Hub One router is making a strange hissing noise. How can this be fixed or is it a known problem?
7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Hub One router hissing

It's a very well known problem. Don't listen to advice regarding switching off the 5GHz wireless just ask for a replacement that's fit for purpose. THe manufacturer must be making the odd one that doesn't have this issue.

It just staggers me how long Plusnet have kept shipping these faulty routers, presumably they are just hoping that few will complain rather than dumping this tainted product.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Bhav, welcome to the Community Forums.

As @Baldrick1 has advised, it is a known issue with some Hub One's and you can turn off the 5GHz Wireless to stop the hissing.

I have sent you a replacement router however and it should be with you within the next few days, let us know if we can assist further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Bhav, would you be able to send the faulty device back to me here at the office?

FAO: Bob Pullen
Plusnet
The Balance
2 Pinfold Street
Sheffield
S1 2GU

I have a collection of these that I'm looking to send over to the vendor for analysis. I'll happily apply some credit to your account to cover the cost of postage/your efforts.

AFAIK, the last time this was looked into, the componentry was found to be operating within tolerance thresholds.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1

Bob,

I have looked up compentry and still don't know what it is that's within tolerance.

The thing I have noticed is the string of complaints that has now gone on for months on this issue. There's obviously something such as a wound component that isn't encapsulated causing this issue. 

Moderator and Customer

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@bobpullen Could it perhaps be componentry, if so its a word I've not seen used before. What are the acceptable noise levels for a router? There are many complaints about this noise problem and no apparent solution yet.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@bobpullen Could it perhaps be componentry, if so its a word I've not seen used before.

Yes, apologies. I've edited my post. I suspect it's some of the capacitors responsible for the noise.

componentry.JPG

What are the acceptable noise levels for a router? There are many complaints about this noise problem and no apparent solution yet.

I don't know the exact thresholds, but as mentioned previously, I plan on opening a new case with the vendor for investigation regardless, so hopefully some good will come of that.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1

@bobpullen wrote:

. I suspect it's some of the capacitors responsible 

Ah, this sort of thing  

https://product.tdk.com/en/contact/faq/31_singing_capacitors_piezoelectric_effect.pdf

Moderator and Customer