Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One replacement

Boofus_Smeg
Hooked

Hub One replacement

Hey
I have reached the end of my tether with the Hub One. It hasn’t been great since we converted to Fibre approx one year ago (some devices cannot get an IP address from router, the firecube is constantly losing connection and I’m forever resetting the thing).
I’ve read on here many replace the standard issue kit with a BT Hub, but not sure what I require (Hub 6 home or business / smarthub 2) or if my fibre service is FTTC or FTTP (can you check?).
There is a BT SmartHub2 for sale locally at £15 but I don’t want to buy until I’m sure it will work with Plusnet fibre
Would a fellow plusnetter advise what I should be looking out for on The Bay of E of Marketplace?
Thanks in advance.
BS.
21 REPLIES 21
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Hub One replacement

If your broadband cable plugs into the grey DSL socket on back of the Hub One, you have FTTC.

I believe all the of BT smart hubs will work on Plusnet.  Even the FTTP model will work on FTTC but it will only have 3x LAN ports, not 4.   Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I would stay clear of the newer Smart hub 2 models.  The 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi cannot be separated (ie. cannot have different names), if you need the extra flexibility, unlike the original 2016+ model.  

The rarer 'Business' variant is prefered over the regular residential model, because you can change the DNS server settings, if that feature is important to you.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Boofus_Smeg 

See. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Boofus_Smeg
Hooked

@Baldrick1 Your cunning plan worked a treat Sir. Thanks. Bought a cheap HomeHub6 (absolutely fine for my domestic needs. over a business hub) locally off Marketplace this morning for a fiver and now all up and running. Just running around the house as we speak, changing the SSID for the new wireless network on all our devices.
Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@Boofus_Smeg 

For future reference, it is often simpler to change the SSID and the wifi password on the replacement router to match those of the old router and then all devices will connect without having to change anything on them.

katie2021

I just recently joined plusnet and I'm having the exact same issue, currently on ebay looking to purchase a home hub... Really regret leaving old isp, had nothing but problems from the start since switching , but was pleased to find this thread and at least end misery even if it's at an extra cost to me so thanks for posting.
Boofus_Smeg
Hooked

Don’t spend mega 💰
I bagged a homehub6 off FB MP for a fiver! Very easy to install and now have coverage all over the house and even in the garden. No longer using my wifi extenders on 1st and 2nd floors either. Best £5 I’ve spent in a long time.
Baldrick1

@Boofus_Smeg  @katie2021 

Let’s be clear here you do not want a Home hub, you need the much newer Smarthub.

Moderator and Customer

Boofus_Smeg
Hooked

Apologies for confusion, SMART HUB 6 is the piece of kit I acquired:

Plusnet & BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Fibre FTTC ADSL Broadband Wireless AC  Router 5016351618165 | eBay

katie2021

Yes that's what I'm looking for bt smarthub 6, thanks for replying I'm currently watching about 15 on ebay 😄
katie2021

Hi, so I now have the bt smarthub 6 it was delivered today but now it says no broadband, I've reset it and still the same. I really don't know what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated, when I run the troubleshooting wizard it says contact bt.. But obviously I'm with plusnet so I'm really unsure.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@katie2021  have you entered your PN username and password?

More details in @Baldrick1  link in message 3.

pn 

Baldrick1

@katie2021 

These are not 'plug and play' on a Plusnet account, you have to set them up. As @Mustrum says, see the link in my earlier post. The troubleshooter will not work.

Just remember to leave the DSL cable out until intstructed to plug it in.

Moderator and Customer

katie2021

I've followed the instructions, changed the name etc and still says no Internet and on broadband it says disconnected, I've put in my plusnet username and password, there is no save button so I returned to homepage then connected dsl and also pressed connect but it shows a pink line at the top saying connecting but eventually goes off the screen, i don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Boofus_Smeg
Hooked

Have you followed the instructions for configuring your SmartHub6?
There was a pinned post to the guide put together by @Baldrick1 on this community forum.