cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One problem

Morris43
Hooked

Hub One problem

We seem to have had problems with our Hub one router since we bought a LG smart TV (about 3-4 months ago). Since then our various devices (mostly android tablets) have randomly lost wifi connection with the router. We have a powerline network  as well, which supports an Ethernet connection to our LG TV. This connection was working fine until we bought our son a PS4. When we tried to connect that device, it would not connect via an Ethernet connection. In addition, our TV will not connect via its Ethernet connection. Since then, I have telephoned the technical support team 4 times for help with varying success. On the 2nd occasion, the lady, who I spoke to, adjusted a setting (she said she was disabling our 5 gHz network). The network worked fine for 24 hours, but then the problems have reoccurred. On the next occasion, the representative "Chris" said I had a problem with our phone line and sent an engineer from Openreach. When he arrived, he was not impressed, as he could see no problem with our telephone line. I have to say I am getting deeply frustrated by these problems. I wonder whether it is either a hardware or software problem?

12 REPLIES 12
Morris43
Hooked

Re: Hub One problem

I have just reviewed the firmware for the router it is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 updated on 28/03/2019, coincidentally, the same time period, when our problems started.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

It might be better to post this under "My Router" or "Tech Help".  I'm sure one of the helpful mods will move it to where they deem it best suited within the next 24 hours.

Morris43
Hooked

Thank you for your suggestion. 

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I think it's useful to have a second one, a hub 6 can be picked up on ebay for around £ 20.

When problems like this occur it can save time and much head scratching trying to eliminate if it's a hardware or software problem.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

May well be a duff router - it does happen. We had 2-3 of them in a row! I ended up sending a couple back to PN as we kept having hiccups with them. The last one would reboot itself everytime i was in the control panel and clicked on one specific link. Eventually that one went back to PN once i managed to make a video of it happening (it had stopped for a while then came back). At that point Bob investigated it and found it had a faulty 5GHz channel / hardware.

The replacement (think it's number 4? lol) has been absolutely fine though - not a hiccup since we've had it so there are some good / bad Hub1's in PNs supply chain.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@gleneagles wrote:

I think it's useful to have a second one, a hub 6 can be picked up on ebay for around £ 20.

When problems like this occur it can save time and much head scratching trying to eliminate if it's a hardware or software problem.

And Smarhub 6s work silently on the 5GHz band.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from General Chat to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to hear about the issues with this. 

Have you tried a factory reset of the router before disabling the 5ghz channel again? Might be worth a try, otherwise we can look at downgrading the firmware or replacing the hardware for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Morris43
Hooked

Thank you for your comments.

Following the changes made last night, the router appears to be working normally today.

We will have to wait and see if this continues.

I will leave settings alone while things are working. 

Again, thanks for your input.

Morris43
Hooked

Hi thank you for your message.

We had problems over the weekend and so I took your advice and factory reset my router. Unfortunately,  this reset seemed to make matters worse initially, as the router went from the default password (which the router had gone back to when I had previously reset the router) to the password, which I had put in the router about a year ago. Luckily, I remembered that other password. Anyway, when I connected to the wifi, we could not then connect to the internet for a day or so. 

While at work, I asked my wife to factory reset the router again and leave it off for a while.

This action has seemed to work, but I am still puzzled as to why all these problems are occurring.

When I spoke to your helpline, i wondered whether it could be a hardware issue, but the telephone representative, did not believe it was the right time to replace the router. He also said our telephone line was not stable, but I do not know what that means and what I can do to investigate this. The openreach engineer, who came last week said our internal telephone point was fine, but commented the telephone line outside looked old, however, he was not booked to do that and so did not do anything about that telephone line.

Anyway, I will wait and see how the router performs this week. If it plays up again, I think the next step would be to try a new router.  Do you agree?

Morris43
Hooked

Many thanks for your comments. 

Morris43
Hooked

Thank you for suggestion. That certainly seems like a sensible idea. Thanks again.