cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One not showing all connected devices

DinghySailor
Dabbler

Hub One not showing all connected devices

I have a Hub One with Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259, and I know I have more devices connected than the Hub One shows.

Not only that, but some devices I can use (e.g. a printer) and so I know it is connected, yet the Hub One isn't showing it.

If I use another router, which is on a different subnet, I can see the devices, even if they are not on the same subnet!

How can I resolve this?

Thank you for your help.

33 REPLIES 33
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Hub One not showing all connected devices

Hi there, we're not aware of this issue being specific to the router or the firmware version it has (thanks for checking that by the way) How many of your devices is it displaying when you check?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@DinghySailor, it's a known issue. See here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DinghySailor
Dabbler

Hi,

You say you are not aware of this issue, yet when I looked online, others have had the same issue with Plus One Hubs.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

I did also respond to this message, and I am surprised it isn't shown.

As for the number of devices attached - there are 4 devices attached via ethernet, yet only 2 show up; about 8 or 9 devices via wifi, and only about 5 show.

Regards,

Ian

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@DinghySailor, did you see my reply?

We have a fix in the pipeline for a future firmware release.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

DinghySailor
Dabbler

Many thanks - but when will the fix be ready? The statement could indicate years before there is a solution!

DinghySailor
Dabbler

Sorry, I meant to add, how does one work around the problem meanwhile?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's not going to be fixed for a while, as we're due to embark on an update shortly and the fix isn't incorporated into that I'm afraid.

Exactly what do you need to work around? What functional problems is this causing you?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

DinghySailor
Dabbler

Can you provide a timeframe - "a while" is not a SI unit to my understanding! Is it going to be in February? Is it going to be next week?

As for the functionality/ problems it is causing me - I want to know what devices are attached to my network. This is both a diagnostic issue, plus a security issue. If you cannot see which devices are attached, how do you know if you have intrusion into the network? I think this is quite a serious issue, needs urgently addressing, not in "a while"?

This should be fixed soon, as it a) is a security issue, and b) has been known about for some time.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@DinghySailor wrote:

Can you provide a timeframe - "a while" is not a SI unit to my understanding! Is it going to be in February? Is it going to be next week?

No I can't, sorry. We're still planning for the imminent update, and no consideration has been lent to any subsequent activity. I would expect it to be this year, but certainly not over the next couple of months.

As for the functionality/ problems it is causing me - I want to know what devices are attached to my network. This is both a diagnostic issue, plus a security issue. If you cannot see which devices are attached, how do you know if you have intrusion into the network? I think this is quite a serious issue, needs urgently addressing, not in "a while"?

This should be fixed soon, as it a) is a security issue, and b) has been known about for some time.

Thanks. Whilst I understand what you're saying, I'm not sure I agree with the opinion that the issue presents a serious security issue.

There will be ways to determine devices on your network without relying on your router if it's of sufficient concern to you.

e.g. there are limitations, but running the following from a command line on a windows machine connected to your network should give you a reasonable view:

arp -a  

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

DinghySailor
Dabbler

Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

Whilst you may not agree, this clearly is a security issue.

If the router does not know which devices are on the network, there is nothing to stop a device breaching a firewall, or other security on the network. That clearly **IS** a serious security issue.

You may argue that the software "knows" what is on the network, but there is no evidence of that, if it cannot show correctly the devices attached to the network.

This needs to be resolved urgently, and a patch issued urgently, not in "a while". That is unsatisfactory for a security issue, as this clearly is.

Regards,

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Whether or not a connected device is displayed in the GUI has zero implication on the integrity of the router's firewall.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

DinghySailor
Dabbler

Bob,

Having discussed this matter with one of the most respected, and senior people in the UK regarding cyber-security, he stated that not being able to see ALL devices attached or connected to a network is a major issue with the router.

Therefore, this IS a security issue, and needs resolving immediately, not in a week, or two.

I look forwards to hearing that this will be resolved today.

Yours sincerely,

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@DinghySailor, whilst I respect your advisory's opinion, I maintain my position. The router does know what devices are or aren't connected to it. It needs to so it can route traffic. Further to this, I'm able to obtain an authoritative list from a device's command line.

The network map omission is an inconvenience, granted - and whilst it's something we will be fixing, the fix won't be coming today - nor will it until there's an opportunity to wrap it into a future maintenance release.

Sorry if that's not the response you're after.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

DinghySailor
Dabbler

Dear Bob,

With the greatest of respect, one of the UK's premiere cyber security experts will have far more expertise regarding network security than I believe you will - unless you are also sitting on national forums on cyber security.

And if a leading cyber security expert says not being able to see what devices are on the network is a security issue, then it will be a security issue. This is also - in my opinion logically a cyber security issue, as how do I know a device on my network is not supposed to be there if I cannot see which devices are on the network? This has nothing to do with whether the router has internally logged it - if I cannot see what should/ shouldn't be on my network, that IS indisputably a security issue, and therefore this security flaw does need fixing without any delay.

You say that it is possible to see devices attached to the router - if so - how? Using an independent tool is not the answer - I need to see which devices are accessing my router, rather than seeing devices which may or may not be attached.

Regards,

Ian