Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One not allocating IP addresses

bbbazman
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hub One not allocating IP addresses

I've not been able to find a solution - I hope someone can help.

Currently, the only way someone can connect to my router is to change the device settings so that it has a static IP address. Simply trying to connect to the wi-fi signal, or even direct cable, the router will not allow internet access as is does not seem to allocate an IP address. As I say, changing the settings on the device to give it a fixed IP and listing the google DNS servers, gets an internet connection.

Accordingly, every device now has a static IP - otherwise nothing will work. Some of the devices such as webcams have the 'always allocate this IP address' option, but the desktops etc have static IP's set up via the network properties on each device.

DNS range is set to the default 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253

Other points to note, I am using some power adaptor LAN extenders.

Some of the static IP's set are outwith the range noted above and I wondered if this could be causing problem. I'm not sure if the static IP's set should be inside the range noted above or outside and I wonder if that's where the problem lies as currently I have both. The 'always allocate this IP address' options are inside the range noted above and other devices that have the network settings modified to a fixed IP on the device only are both inside and outside the range noted above.

Is it something simple I'm doing wrong ?

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Hub One not allocating IP addresses

Some of the devices such as webcams have the 'always allocate this IP address' option

That's set on the Hub One I assume ? so if they are getting an IP then it would show that the Hub is allocating IP's

Some of the static IP's set are outwith the range noted above and I wondered if this could be causing problem. I'm not sure if the static IP's set should be inside the range noted above or outside and I wonder if that's where the problem lies as currently I have both. The 'always allocate this IP address' options are inside the range noted above and other devices that have the network settings modified to a fixed IP on the device only are both inside and outside the range noted above.

True static IP's i.e those set on the device itself should be outwith the DHCP range set on the router , in your case they should be in the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63.

I was thinking that maybe you had MAC address filtering enabled but I don't think the Hub One supports it. Might be worth checking that you haven't got anything set on the Access control facility though...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Block-device-on-Hub-One-router/td-p/1399638

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bbbazman
Hooked

Hi, thanks for that.

There's no MAC address filtering and the access control is no enabled.

Looks like I'll need to try setting all fixed IP's as you've suggested.

I'm trying to connect another IPcamera and I just can't find it at all because I can't manually allocate an IP until it is on the newtprk and therefire the user interface is prevalent. The last IP camera found an IP somehow after a couple of days of pain, I tried different cables etc. I've even tried using the WPS function to no avail. I'm not sure how the last one worked in the end.

Do you think that allocating fixed IPs within the DCHP range set on the router is causing the conflict ?

I managed to aquire a BT fibre modem and have been seriously thinking about turfing the hub one using the modem alongside my billion 7800dxl which served my home network flawlessly in my ADSL days. I'm forever getting drop out from SKY with the hub one. It's just such a big job I've been putting it off for months ! I enjoyed the benefit of being able to access the router remotely also which I miss on the hub one. (sorry for going off topic)

cheers

Bazman

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

From what you've written, it does sound as if access control is somehow playing a part. I don't have a hub 1 but have had much the same sort of thing happen using access control and mac filtering on my TP link. What I do now is enter the mac address manually and then let the router give it an IP. I then lock it to always use that IP address.

Until I enter the mac address the item doesn't get connected. But all my IP's allocated (including the static ones) are in the set range - I thought the idea of setting a range is you can limit the range of IP's what gets allocated e.g. on my old router I use to have it tied down to just 10 IP's max.

Have you tried a general reset? Messy I know and a pain to do.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I have seen these routers get into a mess when configuring them for delivering fixed IP addresses to devices.  It does not help that devices are only listed in the DHCP allocation table when they are connected … so if somehow you've got the configuration fouled up you cannot see what is configured to fix if the device cannot connect.

A factory reset seems like a good way forward.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note:

Topic moved from 'Fibre Broadband' to 'My Router'

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bbbazman
Hooked

Idonno & Townman,

Being short on time I was trying hard to avoid a reset - but it does seem like the way forward.

Now, I started to re-allocate some of the fixed IP's by modifying the device settings, ie skybox tablets etc and they have all 'found' the internet connection so far. They have been set outwith the DHCP range set on the router.

After a few of the devices were changed, the router somehow found the new IPcam. There was no IP confllct that I could see. So, I don't know what's going on. Some of the IP's set on the devices are still within the DHCP range and some are outside as I've not done them all yet.

I also tried to allocate a fixed IP's for the new IPcamera using the 'always use this IP address' on the router but I found that I could only allocate a fixed IP from the router actually WITHIN the DHCP range set on the router. So because the IP cam needs a fixed IP for port forwarding I HAD to allocate an IP address WITHIN the DHCP range set on the router.

So it looks like I've got some more playing to do. I'll post any further developments but at the moment there seems to be little consistency. There must be some constants, I just haven't found them yet.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I also tried to allocate a fixed IP's for the new IPcamera using the 'always use this IP address' on the router but I found that I could only allocate a fixed IP from the router actually WITHIN the DHCP range set on the router. So because the IP cam needs a fixed IP for port forwarding I HAD to allocate an IP address WITHIN the DHCP range set on the router.

That's correct, with 'fixed' IP's , the router is still allocating the address via DHCP (and therefore from it's DHCP range), it's just giving the same address every time to that device. With true static IP's i.e set on the device itself, the router is not involved so therefore the IP set should be outside the routers DHCP range.