Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

cruickc2
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

5 GHz connection dropping out

Hi,

I am experiencing the similar fault as many on here where my 5GHz wifi signal drops out daily and disconnects iOS connected items and requires a Router reboot to re-establish the connection. I did get a new Router from Plusnet last week when I upgraded to unlimited Fibre Plus but the issue has continued. 

I have read on here about splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals but that seems to also have limited success. Also there is a post that mentions a newer Firmware that has helped with this issue. This may be a Beta testing version?. I am currently on Firmware rev: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 with no last update date. Also was wondering how you upgrade the Router firmware?

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: 5 GHz connection dropping out

Version 263 is the latest firmware
cruickc2
Dabbler

Thanks for the update, 

does anyone know if Plusnet are still looking at this issue or is there another fix that I have not found yet?

Iandfisher
Rising Star

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

I moved from BT to Plusnet (same Co I know). I had exactly the same problem with the BT hub and they tried everything (allegedly). The final solution which resulted in all problems being solved was for them to send me a new hub 6. I doubt that [-Censored-] will do the same for those affected.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Moderator's note(s):

Unhelpful post removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting in touch @cruickc2 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing problems with your 5GHz wireless frequency dropping out. We are still investigating this and I'm afraid I'm unable to advise when this will be resolved.

What may help our investigation is if you could complete the below questionnaire that our products team have provided. This will hopefully allow us to replicate the problem in a lab environment.

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

2. When did the problem start?

3. What firmware version are you running and when was it last updated?

4. What devices do you have on their network and how are they connected, e.g. wired or wireless?

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (If you've not, please try this)

9. Would you be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

10. Would you be willing to facilitate a home visit so that hardware engineers can carry out further diagnosis of the problem? (note that any visit would be to capture further wi-fi diagnostics, and not to necessarily 'fix' anything).

Finally as a more immediate step it may be worth changing the wireless channel on the 5GHz frequency itself as I've heard from at least one person around these parts that appears to improve the stability.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
its-me
Dabbler

I have the same issue;

All wireless connections loose access, even to the extreme of you cannot see the SSID in the available networks list.

Approx 1 month ago, but am new customer.

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 28/07/19

4. What devices do you have on their network and how are they connected, e.g. wired or wireless?

Ethernet;

Mac pro, Nas drive, Ripe Atlas, Dell R710 server

Wifi;

4x iPhones, 1x ipad, 2x kindles, 1x  HP printer, 2x HP laptops, wifi connected thermostat & Roku

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

NTE-> Plus net router -> switch -> ethernet devices as per question 4, (wifi devices connected to plus net router AP)

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

All wifi devices

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

Merged

Yes, paper clip method

9. Would you be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

Yes

10. Would you be willing to facilitate a home visit so that hardware engineers can carry out further diagnosis of the problem? (note that any visit would be to capture further wi-fi diagnostics, and not to necessarily 'fix' anything).

Yes.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Two threads merged.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@its-me,

Thanks, I've passed that to the products team.

cruickc2
Dabbler

IMac and IPhones still indicate a Wi-Fi connection but no Internet pages load up and when you investigate the Wi-Fi connection on the IMac it see’s my Wi-Fi network but states its searching for a Network. Any equipment connected to the 2.4Ghz signal still work and access the Internet

Approx. 9 to 12 months ago, not 100% sure could even be longer

4.7.5.1.83.8.263-This is a new Router you sent out last week and doesn’t state when last updated. Unsure what version my old Router was but that was around 3 years old and had the same issue

Wired- Philips HUE Bridge, SAMSUNG SMART Things Bridge, Tado- Bridge, SONOS Boost, Xbox One.

Wireless- IMac, 3 x Ipads, 4 x IPhones, 3 x IWatches, Kodak Verrite 55 printer, Apple TV, Amazon Fire stick, 3 off Panasonic Smart TV’s, SKY Q

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or Wi-Fi access points in use?

Router is connected straight into ADSL ext in Master socket, also one additional NETGEAR GS205-100UKS 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet desktop switch connected to the Router to give 4 off extra connections

It appears to be only the IMac and IPhones, unsure if the Panasonic TV’s are dropping out as haven’t checked these (IMac is running Mojave version 10.14.6, IPhones latest version of IOS)

Merged

Yes

Yes

Yes

gibbs2011
Dabbler

Any update on this from PN? 

I have been a LONG sufferer of this issue across 3 replacement routers.

ttstoo
Dabbler

@gibbs2011 wrote:

Any update on this from PN? 

Not as far as I know, no.  About 3 weeks ago my 5GHz spontaneiously began working again!  It lasted a few days, maybe a week, then dropped out again and continued to not work as it had since March.  I finally followed the example of some others on this or one of the parallel topics here on the same issue and bought myself a BT Business Smart Hub on eBay.  They're under £30, and once you've got it set up (there's another thread here with excellent step-by-step instructions) you can chuck your PN Hub1 along with its useless firmware update!  I am seriously disappointed in Plusnet's failure to assist us with this in any meaningful way, or to keep us appraised of what (if anything) they are doing.  I think they subscribe to the Boris Johnson School of Stakeholder Rejection.  It's only laziness that has stopped me moving to the opposition, and that won't last forever.

gibbs2011
Dabbler

Am in full agreement with everything you have said. I have been with them for years and various house moves, and this was the first year I almost left over a billing issue of over payment even while suffering this WiFi craic. 

Will have to pick up something in the interim until the contract ends as running 2.4Ghz only is a bit of a pain 

Russkinguk
Grafter

I wish I found this thread earlier. I’m also having 5g completely disconnect. 2.4g is fine. Plusnet did send me a replacement router but the same issue occurs. All my 5g devices (mostly google home and chromecasts) are dumped from the network and cannot reconnect until the router is rebooted.

I’ve been a customer for around 10 years but this is a deal breaker for me. With this and the over billing issue I’m losing faith. Reading this thread there is no end in sight so can I exit my contract early as a result of this?

cruickc2
Dabbler

Just thought I would add an update, I changed out my Plusnet Router for the BT Smart Hub 2 and have not experienced a single drop out since. This is a far superior Router. Only thing to make sure is you follow the installation guides on this site but be careful you use the correct internet username. The guides say if you are with Plusnet then your Usernsme should be followed by @plusdsl.net but I am with Plusnet through Force 9 so my username is followed by @f9.co.uk