cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

homehighway

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

I called to renew my subscription and told the agent on the phone that I was having problems with the router.  He told me he would send out a new one if I renewed, but I would have to pay the £6.99 delivery.  I signed up and I am now waiting for the router to arrive a Hub One.  Now that i have come across this issue of the 5ghz, I have disabled the 5ghz and all my devices are working fine.  The agent should have told me about the problem when I renewed.

I want my money back!!

If Plusnet know there's a problem they should be telling customers, not suggesting they replace the router, in my case waste money.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

These lies & deception from plusnet will help us all benefit from this.
Surely BT have now realised that Plusnet Customer Service has been paid for doing nothing for years.
They are an absolute joke.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Algie42 wrote:
I have not tried my BT hub it's a HH5A which I understand is the same as the PN hub one.

To save you the hassle, I'd advise against this. Unless the HH5A is running a dated firmware, I'm fairly certain you'll suffer the same problem Sad

We are committed to resolving this problem, and despite the lack of updates, I can assure you it's being treated as a priority, and is being worked on.

Whilst less than desirable, if you're affected by this issue, then easiest way to mitigate against it in the short term is to disable the 5GHz radio in the router configuration pages.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

peteharper
Grafter

@bobpullen
What actions are you are your team undertaking to resolve this issue?

Why cant you supply an equivalent of the BT HH6, which we know works great?

Why has this been allowed to go on so long?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@peteharper, I'm not going to relay all of the finer detail, however there's been a lot of work behind the scenes: many attempts to replicate the issue in lab conditions (still unable to do this BTW), the installation of diagnostic collectors and Wi-Fi scanners in affected customers' networks, pre-production firmware testing/deployment, and live sessions with affected customers to capture lower level detail as the problem is witnessed. This list is not exhaustive.

Very interested to hear from anybody who thinks they have a way to reliably trigger this issue. @NigeBoy has kindly provided one replication scenario involving the waking of a PC that has previously been asleep, but we're unable to repeat it.

Supplying a variant of the BT HH6 is not a simple task. There is a hell of a lot of development involved (completely ignoring the cost/commercial obligation etc.), and even if this had been the intention at the start, it's likely you'd still be waiting. It also doesn't fix the problem for the affected customers who are already using the Hub One.

The issue has dragged on for a very long time, but we're working hard to bring a reactive 'fix' to the fore that should at least allow for a more graceful workaround whilst we continue the investigation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

peteharper
Grafter

Thanks @bobpullen

Mine was hard to work out a trigger for, I had my suspicions that my Google home mini was causing the problem, I unplugged it to charge ps4 controllers, then the 5ghz seemed to drop out and stick at around 20mbps, until I restarted the hub one, may be a conincidence though. Since buying a HH6 the problem has stopped totally.

Thanks for trying Bob, you fixed my issue before with a firmware rollback.

Cheers
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @bobpullen for the update and your PM.
Your post here is a much welcome update for many of the people subscribed to this thread.
It would be good if some of the Plusnet Staff could find time refer to your post in the many other threads which also refer to this problem.
There needs to be a central point where everyone affected can be kept updated and where newly affected customers can identify quickly that they aren't the only ones seeing this problem.
It is understood that trying to resolve the issue is complex but, from a customer service point of view, managing the situation on here could be done in a much better way than it is being done at the moment.
Surely for a long running problem like this one senior member of forum staff should take ownership of the issue & liase between the products team & affected customers on a regular basis, providing a two way flow of relevant information.

Is that really too much to ask?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@peteharper wrote:
Mine was hard to work out a trigger for, I had my suspicions that my Google home mini was causing the problem, I unplugged it to charge ps4 controllers, then the 5ghz seemed to drop out and stick at around 20mbps, until I restarted the hub one, may be a conincidence though.

Thanks for the detail. This is an interesting one (bold), especially if the speed was around the ~18mbps mark? I don't want to derail from the main issue being discussed, but we do have a separate ticket open investigating similar reports of the throughput dropping.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Algie42
Hooked

I have given up on my PN1 hub and invested in a Tenda Nova Mesh solution.
I use the PN1 as a modem, have switched off not 2.4 and 5 GHz bands and now rely totally upon the 4 Tenda units.
No 5 GHz problems any more and 40 to 70 Mbps in every corner of our Victorian house with it's rediculously thick walls.
Next step is to find a new ISP within the next 5 weeks.
Cheers everyone for your contributions and have a great Christmas.
peteharper
Grafter

When I had the 5ghz problems it always dropped to between 20-25 mbps. Only went back to the normal 68mbps when I rebooted the router. It was almost daily, and particularly annoying

Cheers
Saber3811
Dabbler

100 percent and always seem to need rebooting in bad weather, currently rebooting up to 3 times a day
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting on or following this thread throughout the year.

It is really disappointing that we haven't got a solution yet. As I have said before though, I won't be giving up until we do have one. The number of posts and views on here shows that there is strong customer dissatisfaction with the situation and by posting here we are keeping it publicly visible.

Hopefully there will be better news coming from inside Plusnet early next year.

Just remember to connect all the new Christmas present WiFi devices to 2.4 Ghz only for now to avoid disappointment, unless of course you have been lucky enough to have Santa bring you a fully working router 😉!

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Best wishes to all.

NigeBoy.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In a bid to add some clarity to the current situation, I have created a post over here which the mods have kindly pinned to the top of the 'Router' forum.

I'm going to suggest that we close this thread to further replies if it's OK with everyone and continue discussion over there?

We'll also try and stay on top of new threads/posts and ask that they are merged into the pinned thread to keep discussion in the same place.

Edit: I've discussed with the OP @NigeBoy, and he's happy for this thread to be locked so I'm going to ask the mods to do so.

Please continue discussion about this problem over here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been locked as agreed and noted in above post.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'