cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

wisey78uk

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

This problem has started for me too. And the help on the telephone is woeful at best. I don't know how many times I have to say "I understand the signal coming into the house is fine, but it is your router that is broken" to only be responded to with "But we cannot class it as a fault as we cannot guarantee how wifi behaves in the home, so we cannot pass it to Open Reach".

Seriously!

If you are saying the signal into the home is fine, then any other problems in the home is to do with the hardware. And if your router is supposed to have a 5ghz signal and that antennae is not working, then your router is the problem. If the "solution" is to split the signal to 2.4ghz and 5ghz, to tell all your devices to only use 2.4ghz because and I quote "5ghz is more of a gimmick and 2.4ghz will give you a better signal" then stop handing out routers with 5ghz.

Really plusnet! You are meant to be better than this sort of tatty advice.

Russkinguk
Grafter

OK. I take it all back. For me at least, the BT HH6 is not a solution. It has exactly the same problem at the Plusnet Hub One but in reverse, i.e. it's the 2.4Ghz band that craps out and 5Ghz stays up. It's happened twice in a row now after ~8 days of uptime. I might just have been unlucky and this is what I get for buying a used hub for 7 quid delivered but I'm a little suspicious that these symptoms are so close to that of the Hub One which we know is based on the BT hardware to begin with that this may be a little more wide spread.

I guess I'm looking for a new router then. Hopefully I've not just missed out on all the deals!

Iandfisher
Rising Star

I now have my BT HH6 up and running and everything is just fine. My Echo is now working - it refused to work on the PN Hub 1

My Netgear range extender also works now, again it didn't work with the PN Hub 1. I now have 12 devices successfully connected to 2.4Ghz and 7 connected to 5Ghz. A result for me - another epic fail for PN.

jamestapp
Dabbler

Hi all,

Just to put a bit of closure on my problem.

I bought a BT HH6 from ebay and I have been putting off setting it up - the 2.4 was stable and fine on my hub one and my kids won't put up with me turning off the internet for too long!

I bit the bullet this afternoon, using the instructions from baldrick, and everything went as expected. I have split the bands so I now have a -24 and a -5 - and everything is hunky dorey!

I even used wifi analyser to identify that the HH6 5Ghz band was the same as skyQ so changed it to another channel - look at me IT genius!

The one minus point was that the skyQ box would only find the -24, not the -5 (it is in the same room as the router), but it seems to be fine on 2.4Ghz. I am considering connecting with a cable anyway.

Thanks to everyone on here for the support.

Regards,

James

texhewson
Dabbler

Thanks. Describes my situation perfectly. I'm cross now, not just because there's a problem but because of all the time I've wasted having been lead deliberately down blind alleys. As soon as I get the deadlock letter I will be off and we'll see a bit more about this threshold. I wonder if it makes a difference that I signed up for plusnet *after* all these problems emerged but wasn't informed.

Algie42
Hooked

Having also fallen foul of this dual band fiasco can I please show my ignorance and ask what a deadlock letter is?
My current contract with PN ends around 6 weeks and I am in a bit of a dilemma as to what I should do then?
Iandfisher
Rising Star

I personally would leave Plusnet and go to BT if you can get a good enough deal. They will supply the BT HH6 which is immensely better than the Plusnet hub. I know it's the same company but it's a bloody nose for PN. I'll be leaving as soon as I can.

texhewson
Dabbler

Deadlock letter means that you have exhausted all formal complaint procedures within PN and that you could, if you wish, take your complaint to the Ombudsman.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Algie42  & everyone else

Dealing with the Ombudsman takes at least 6 weeks and is pretty much a waste of time. Even if you are awarded a payment they will ask Plusnet to credit your account. I did get a payment, not for the firmware issue but for Plusnet's poor customer service in handling my formal complaint. I used it to buy a used HH6 from eBay.

If you have only 6 weeks on your contract I would just start looking for alternatives.

I swapped back to the Hub One to test out some previous firmware versions that I never had before for Plusnet. The one I have currently has just failed with the same problem for the 3rd time in 4 days. I am waiting on a response from someone on the Plusnet Products Team.

I could always swap back to the HH6 but would prefer to try to get this issue resolved for myself and everyone else.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Algie42, I am really sorry that you are having an issue with your wireless bands.

I am really sorry for any inconvenience caused, but please know our products team are working hard to work out what is causing this issue, though in the meantime a temporary workaround would be to disable the 5Ghz and solely use 2.4GHz. 

I can see that you have previously advised that you own a BT router, if this is the case can you please advise if you have connected this up and if the same issue occurs?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Iandfisher
Rising Star

Disabling 5Ghz is not a solution, it's a cop out. I, like many others, have had to BUY a BT HH6 to get around the problem which is unacceptable. These second hand routers will not be covered by any warranty or guarantee and you can be sure that if there is a problem with the broadband then the BT HH6 will be blamed and PN will wash their hands of it. It's a no win situation. Our solution is just another excuse for PN to pass the buck or claim 'not our problem'. I've got another 12 months with this shower but I will be off as soon as I can and I will be telling everyone who asks that PN are rubbish especially with tech stuff.

peteharper
Grafter

Plusnet 5ghz is basically useless.
Appalling customer service.
Where us that Bob Pullan guy from plusnet that used to help customers out?Huh

The current admins are utterly useless.
Saber3811
Dabbler

I'm sure plusnet technicians aren't that useless or are they? I have had this problem for over a year and never been offered any help or any solution been found. Apart from this issue I have been happy with plusnet, but it is not compatiable with working from home so will be leaving early next year. I cannot recommend them either and will be posting my review of them when I leave.
markangeltruema
Dabbler

After seeing the issue a few times a week, i've been nearly a month without an issue after using a new router sent out by plusnet.

Algie42
Hooked

Hi Lauren
I have not tried my BT hub it's a HH5A which I understand is the same as the PN hub one.
I did not see the point in setting it up under those circumstances.
Regards