Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

jamestapp
Dabbler

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Hi,
The change to a separate 2.4ghz connection has solved all the authentication problems and has actually sped things up a little bit...presumably because devices are not fighting the shared band situation.
I've still ordered a hh6 from eBay though...thought it would be good experience to set one up...and will hopefully mean I can take advantage of 5ghz where appropriate.
Regards,
James
Algie42
Hooked

There has been a number of comments regarding the use of a BT HH6 but has anyone enjoyed any degree of success or otherwise with a HH5?

We have one from a previous BT contract but the Plusnet Hub 1 looks like a rebranded version of that router.

Would it therefore be a waste of time to use that?

Cheers
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I don't have any direct experience of the Home Hub 5, (I have never used ISP supplied routers myself). However the PlusNet Hub 1 is a rebrand of the BT HH5A. If you have the HH5B that is considered to be a better device, having the preferred Broadcom chipset and possibly better Wi-Fi coverage, so if you have that version it could be worth trying, it can certainly be used on a PlusNet service.

Algie42
Hooked

I have had another look at my old BT Home Hub and it's a HH5A not B.
Do I assume that there's no point in switching that over if it's the same as the Plusnet Hub one?
Iandfisher
Rising Star

I've decided to buy the BT HH6. I'm so p***ed off with half my devices that rely on 5Ghz not working. I also get the error message 'incorrect password' and resetting the hub is not good enough. Plusnet have really failed their customers here.

Can someone post the link outlining how to set up the BT HH6 please

Silanthril
Dabbler

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705

This is the one I followed. Straightforward with videos and pictures if needed.

peteharper
Grafter

Plusnet is this another unhappy customer with 5ghz issues?

They seem to have found a solution to the problem by purchasing a BT HH6 router.

Maybe you could reimburse him, after all its your sub standard equipment that has lead him to this course of action.

Saber3811
Dabbler

Never going to happen as there are to many of us with problems. Would be a nice gesture though
Iandfisher
Rising Star

Agreed! It's never going to happen. I called customer services and their response was 'there are better hubs out there'.

A totally separate issue, my browser kept displaying a Plusnet error saying that I hadn't paid my invoice and therefore need to contact customer services to resolve the issue. I pay by DD and I could see that the payments had been taken. I reset the hub (yes a hub problem) as instructed and the error appeared again whilst on the line to them. They blamed the hub saying that there was a communication issue between the hub and Plusnet central. They resolved it by resetting the connection (apparently). Thankfully it's not happened since.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

What concerns me is the apparent inability of PN to reproduce this problem and then get some diagnostics. Each and every firmware update on their hubs seems to introduce more problems than it fixes.

If they are unable to fix the problem then their solution should not be "turn off half the wireless functionality of your router" which seems to be their only answer at the moment. Either let people with the problem rollback to a version of the firmware that doesn't have the issue OR use the details of the routers that they know are faulty and for those people with the broken hardware ship them a router that doesn't have the defective hardware.

Saber3811
Dabbler

I believe they don't want to find the fault as then there would be an admission. I have had to reset my router three times today, and work from home each time taken time out from work.
peteharper
Grafter

Plusnet, are you reading this?

Can I ask again what exactly is being done to resolve this issue for us?

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I have just been on the phone to Ofcom because I requested that they monitor this problem back in September. I wanted to give them an update and hoped that they could also update me.

Ofcom are also very little use in this case.

They suggested that Plusnet are taking advantage of a grey area in the regulations regarding routers and firmware.

They also agreed that going to the Ombudsman is of little use and unlikely to cause any action to be taken or any payment to be made regarding problems caused by the firmware update.

Ofcom couldn't say whether they were following anything up on this but did suggest that there is often an unknown threshold for each complaint before something is followed up. It might be worth everyone phoning Ofcom to make a complaint. If we annoy Ofcom 10% of the amount that Plusnet has annoyed us they might listen.

They did suggest that maybe going to Trading Standards was the way to go as Plusnet do advertise the fact that they supply a dual band router and also because they have offered to sell replacement Hub One routers to fix the problem (which clearly it won't). I guess that people living in different areas would end up approaching different Trading Standards offices so in some ways that may also be an advantage.

What I find most annoying about this is that Plusnet forum staff have done absolutely nothing to make it easy for new users to see that there is a known problem.

Every time a new user creates a new thread reporting the problem the same few Plusnet staff act as if it is the first time they have heard about it. Everybody is still asked to try changing WiFi channels even though out of the hundreds of times it has been suggested it hasn't worked once.

The blatant lie to ISPreview that said users were being given temporary fixes to alleviate the problem sums up Plusnet's attitude to this issue. Turning off the 5 Ghz WiFi is not a fix of any kind. Just giving an untrue reply for the sake of it being a reply is not in the interest of any customers.

I am also fed up of people saying on here that the Hub One is useless so buy a better router. They completely miss the point that the Hub One worked fine for us until this latest update. It isn't the hardware which is defective, it is the firmware, the previous testing and the troubleshooting which is of a very low and unacceptable standard.

The fact that Plusnet changed something and then after 8 months of searching can't find (or remember) what they changed tells you all you need to know about Plusnet and how they operate.

If anybody else does contact Ofcom then please let us know what response you get. The same if you approach Trading Standards.

We need to work together on this to ensure that Plusnet are not allowed to continue with their delusion that Customer Service is good and also to ensure that no customer is left out of pocket due to their incompetence.

Iandfisher
Rising Star

I genuinely don't think PN read these forums and even if they did then ignoring the problem is infinitely cheaper than paying to solve it. I paid £23.99 for a refurbed BT HH6. PN must be able to buy them cheaper than this.

I shall be leaving when I can. Sky looks good and I believe that their technical department is the bogs dollocks

Saber3811
Dabbler

Agreed, I have a couple of months left and looked today, sky is £5 a month cheaper for me for the same package and it then makes the sky q mini boxes WiFi boosters as well. I know we're we are heading